• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires Bump Stops Inchitis Oh My!

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
My current set up is 3" lift with 31's and trimming. they just barely clear. i want to go to 33's with extending the bump stops. my ?'s are , will this work, i think it would if i limit some uptravel with longer stops. next ? is should i run 10.50's or 12.50's. i have 4"bs wheels. any help is very much appreciated. btw, i dont want to hear anything about gearing please.

Ramsey said:
My current set up is 3" lift with 31's and trimming. they just barely clear.

read before you answer next time, all you did was repeat exaclty what i said in my question. sounds like your speaking from hearsay and not experience.

Ramsey said:
read before you answer next time, all you did was repeat exaclty what i said in my question. sounds like your speaking from hearsay and not experience.
Wow! You'll get alot of help with THAT attitude! (n)
Juice was trying to help you out, and even gave some links for further info.
I believe I'll be steering clear of YOUR posts now...

Ramsey said:

Obviously you didn't read what HE posted. He was telling you you'd have to trim MORE and to use..............aw WTF if you didn't get it the first time it was posted I'm not going to bother. (You can almost hear the sounds of dueling bangos in the background) :variety:

I second that motion - Ramsey find another forum - the people here are helpful and don't respect the attitude you displayed.

sorry everyone just having a bad day, it happens you know. juice i give you my sincerist apologies and beg for you to accept them. i really am sorry. just having woman troubles and guess i took it out on the board. is there anyway yall could forgive me and maybe still please help me out? i dont want another board Naxja is the best :worship:

Ramsey said:
sorry everyone just having a bad day, it happens you know. juice i give you my sincerist apologies and beg for you to accept them. i really am sorry. just having woman troubles and guess i took it out on the board. is there anyway yall could forgive me and maybe still please help me out? i dont want another board Naxja is the best :worship:

I am planning on doing the same thing. I just upgraded to 5" of lift and with 4.5 backspacing and taller bumpstops (which you already have), should be able to flex with 33's. Just some input from someone who is in the process. :conceited

Kevin

I run 33x11.50's (285's) on 16x8's with 4.25BS with 3.5" of lift. I trimmed all of the folded metal away on the front and cut and folded the rear, leaving the pinch seam intact. I used 3" extended bumpstops up front and the stock ones in the rear. The front still hits the fenders but only during the most extreme articulation and not badly, the rear never touches the fenders at all. Take this just as my experience, hope it helps you decide.

Not first-hand, but I knew two guys who ran 33x9.50s with 3" of lift -- but on stock rims. With 4" of backspacing, you're going to have major problems with the tires hitting the flares/fenders on compression, even with 10,50 tires (the 9.50s aren't available any longer, so don't bother looking even if you might be interested). Even if you go back to stock rims, the tires will tuck inside the fenders but the largest tire that will stuff without rubbing is a 235/75R15, so you'll still be looking at extending the bump stops.

Extending the bump stops will be necessary even with more lift, by the way. Rubbing is rubbing. Just because you start from more lift doesn't mean the tires won't rub when really stuffed ... unless the bump stops are extended. You should NOT rely on the shocks to act as bump stops -- they aren't designed or intended for that purpose, and using them that way is a good way to kill them quickly.

I'm running 33x12.5R15 Super Swampers and no lift at the moment it fits and yes it rubs under articulation. If I trimed the rear another ½ inch I would be okay with the sway bar on, I have the 3 inch lift sitting in the garage. I suggest that you get rid of the factory flares or move them up drastically before thinking about 33's my wheels have 4" back spacing, I'm running a 1988. When all is said and done I plan on running about a 1 inch bumpstop and trimming more. I thought I went crazy with the trimming and I still need more, HTH

PS, remember never to take out woman problems on the guys from the board. they will be the first ones to help you out in a pinch. good wheeling friends are harder to find than a piece of ____ (you fill in the blanks)

Backspace and wheel well stuff are enemies!!!!! I still say the best balanced kit Ive had so far(Ive been thru 5 so far and havent even hit 20k miles yet) was +4.5" w/ 32x10.5's on factory rims(5" BS).No bump stops and full stuff front/rear,it would rub the paint off and burn the rubber liners But!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Boghog1 said:
PS, remember never to take out woman problems on the guys from the board. they will be the first ones to help you out in a pinch. good wheeling friends are harder to find than a piece of ____ (you fill in the blanks)
thats great advice and very true.

anyone have any idea how much i will need to extend stops approx. my fenders are cut and flairs are removed. i am thinking just an inch or 2 more but i may be way off.

I used the tape measure method to figure mine, which is how I ended up with 3" (3 hockey pucks). What I didn't account for was how much compression/distortion the stock bumpstop itself would have. When I max it out on all corners, the stock bumpstops compresses enough to allow the front tires to rub a little still.

Ramsey said:
thats great advice and very true.

anyone have any idea how much i will need to extend stops approx. my fenders are cut and flairs are removed. i am thinking just an inch or 2 more but i may be way off.

Best way to figure bumpstops is to flex your rig to the point you want it to stop, measure the space in between the bumpstop and the stopping point, and add that much bumpstop. I have found it is roughly 1" bumpstop to 1" lift, but it all depends on lift height, tire size, rim size and BS, shock compression, and, well that is pretty much it. I'm running about 7" extended stops front and rear with 6.5" of lift (RE 5.5" kit) and 37" MT/R's on 15x8" rims with 3.25" BS.
I'm going to do a writeup pretty soon (next week or two) on using hockey pucks for front bumpstops. For the rear, I highly recommend these at the bottom of my page:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/gecko_accessories.htm

a thousand thank yous to everyone who has replied, i really do appreciate it.

Back