• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ophir closed; BlackBear+Tomboy limited-

rj454

NAXJA Forum User
Okay; this I got forwarded to me by the MileHighJeepClub; was intended for my reading and includes a call for distribution-

Well at least it is a step forward on this one. Please let everyone know about this sign in. If we don't do this we can concider it closed for good.
Thanks patty

---------------------- Forwarded Message: ---------------------

Subject: OHVctf #6 -- temporary measure approved
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 02:30:07 +0000

folks

the san miguel county board of commissioners have given the staff direction to modify our 1994 resolution that currently leaves Black Bear Road and Tomboy Road closed to OHV use and to allow temporary OHV use for the 2004 summer season on those two roads with a sign-in program (not the Ophir Road -- that remains closed to OHV use in San Miguel County).

i had originally called it a reservation system, but the board chose to call it to a "sign-in" program. thus, the two roads are officially closed to OHV use, except for those who call in or email in to the San Miguel County Road and Bridge Department and leave their name, the date of the their road use, names of all OHV riders in their party, a home address, phone number, and the number of OHVs in their party.

that number is 970-327-4835 and the email is [email protected]

i am asking the help of all those on this task force to alert everyone in the OHV community to this temporary measure until a permanent compromise solution can be hammered out. please let me know who we can inform and alert to make this known. we will be putting signs up. but we need to get this word out to the region immediately.

TO REPEAT; ophir pass will remain closed to OHVs, but black bear and tomboy will be open to those who sign up with the San Miguel County by phone or by email.

i will be leaving on vacation tomorrow, but i will be back in email touch by the 27th & until the 29th, but completely out of email contact from then until july 11th.

please email me any ideas on how to best publicize this temporary measure until the 29th. after that, you might send ideas to Mike Horner, our county road and bridge superintendent at [email protected]

thank you. when i return on the 11th we'll continue to explore how we might craft a more permanent program to address OHV use in our high country as well as protection of our high country alpine environment.

Action Alert

This also came from MHJC-
ACTION ALERT!!!

The Blanca Peak 4x4 Club needs the help of all wheelers that have
enjoyed the 4x4 roads in south-central Colorado.

The BLM in the San Luis Valley (home to Blanca Peak, Travis Trail &
Power House) is currently taking comments on travel management in Southern
Colorado Currently the enviro-nazis have been pushing very hard to close most, if not all, 4x4 and ohv roads in the area. We need all four wheelers to send a letter on how they enjoy using the public lands in our area and how
4wd roads should be added rather than taken away.
A sample letter is included in this email along with contact information for the BLM office.

Please include:
Your Name, Address, email and phone number.

Mail to:
Bureau of Land Management
San Luis Valley Public Lands Center
Attn: San Luis Valley TMP
1803 W. Hwy 160
Monte Vista, CO 81144

Fax to: 719-852-6250

SAMPLE LETTER SAMPLE LETTER SAMPLE LETTER

Dear Team:

I wanted to thank you for the opportunity to comment on the San Luis
Valley Travel Management Plan. My family and friends like to recreate and
enjoy the beauty of the BLM and NFS public lands in the San Luis valley. We
appreciate the availability of recreation on public lands.We have taken
many opportunities to four wheel, camp, hike, and fish in the valley.
We especially enjoy the challenges and scenic beauty of Blanca Peak,
Travis Trail, and Powerhouse. We are requesting you retain these roads and
encourage you to carefully consider the closure of any other roads or
trails in the valley. They are a vital and important aspect of attracting
tourists to the valley. Without these recreation opportunities being available in the valley I feel the valley may see hard economic times ahead.

Not only do I believe that all the current access be kept, but I
think that new ways of accessing our public lands should be reviewed.
Motorcycle, ATV, 4x4, equestrian, and non-motorized trails are the only way many citizens can access the backcountry. Let us not take away this access but improve upon it.

Sincerely,

Before anybody gets the wrong impression, this is not a closure, it is a requirement that non-licensed vehicles using these trails need to notify the authorities in order to use these trails. Legally these trails are county roads and as such have all the requirements that driving down the street have as far as being licensed. In order to protect these as county roads and not have the greenies challenge the road status, trying to get it closed, they need to have an exception policy in formal effect. This in no way impacts legally licensed 4wd vehicles. It is however an attempt to control the quad's that run rampant up there and won't stay on the roads and tearing up the tundra, or at least to let them know that big brother is watching and has their name.

This is straight from the authorities this morning. This in no way impacts our outings this summer, unless of course you are going to be running an unlicensed tube buggy on Black Bear or Ophir, which is overkill anyway. I saw a stock Datsun B210 and a F250 double cab make it over Black Bear.

I've been reading more on this and it does seem to target quads. I guess by OHV they mean vehicles unlicensed and unintended for highway use. But the San Miguel County part of Ophir is definitely closed to OHV use. I really wanna believe that does not include XJs.

(ya know, smilies can really change the tone of a message- wished mine worked)

Back