• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition switch installation help, asap!!!!!

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I found my ignition switch, and uninstalled it just fine. It is identical to the one Schucks sold me.

I reinstalled it, per the Haines manual instructions, and now it will not crank!! I have a 1990 4.0 XJ AW4 w/ tilt wheel. I adjusted the hole on the switch so where the rod sticks in was all the way to the right hand side, if you're facing the driver side door. The ignition was in the accessory position, just like the haines manual said.

I have non-switched power, but do not have switched power. WTF is wrong here? If I wiggle the switch on the two screws, I can sometimes get my radio to come on, but when I turn the key forward to start, nothing happens. No cranking or clicking.

It is getting dark soon (15 minutes) and I have to be somewhere at 8AM tomorrow morning.

What am I doing wrong?

Well, I got it started. I had to remove the lower dash trim, and to get it out, I had to move the shifter back. I thought it was in neutral, but it was actually in drive. I just spent the last hour and 15 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't start. Kind of makes me angry it was something so stupid as trying to start it in gear.

However, I do still have a problem. When I try to turn the key to the accessory position, nothing happens. It is like it is still shut off, unless I physically hold the lock cylinder rearward, then it works fine. Ideas here?

Thanks

Sounds like the switch needs a little adjustment. That means you get to remove the dimmer switch and adjust the ignition switch until is it "right". Remember there are slots not holes in the switch bracket. You will get it, just be patient.

Not to hijack your thread, but im having ignition swithc problems too. I just installed a new one and now to crank the engine I have to turn the key toward me and to sut it off I have to turn the key away from me (opposite normal) plus I can't pull my key out. Are there different switches? Did I get the wrong one?

Back