• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to adjust TPS

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 90's TPS needs to be adjusted. I don't have the money to take it to the dealer right now, does anyone know how to do it and if so can you try and explain it to me in simple terms? I'm not exactly mechanically inclined so I would need it simple. BTW-4.0L AW4 also, I do have a multimeter which I heard is needed.

i cant recall how to do it by calculating voltage, but if you can get to an autozone or other parts store that has scan tools to loan, adjust it 12-14%.that is the factory equivalent.

yo jneary youve been a lot of help to me so i wanted to thank you for that. just a question though what scan tool do i need to ask the parts store to borrow and then where do i hook it up?

Alright Ill ask around. Thanks

If you do a search on TPS you will find the info you need.

There is a three wire connector on the TPS cable set with labels of A,B,C. B is ground. A is supply voltage and C is return voltage.
1. Turn the ignition on without starting the engine.
2. Measure the input voltage. It should be between 4.5 and 5.0
3. Mesure the output voltage.
4. Loosen the screws of the TPS
5. Adjust the output voltage to about 88% of the input voltage.
6. Tighten the screws.
7. Check voltages again.

If you are unable to meet this spec., replace the TPS. They are abailble from Autozone for less than the Stealership.

Theres is another 4 wire connector with 3 wires attached that goes to the transmission. Some people make the adjustment using this connector. Ground is labeled D on this connector.

sjx40250 said:
If you do a search on TPS you will find the info you need.

There is a three wire connector on the TPS cable set with labels of A,B,C. B is ground. A is supply voltage and C is return voltage.
1. Turn the ignition on without starting the engine.
2. Measure the input voltage. It should be between 4.5 and 5.0
3. Mesure the output voltage.
4. Loosen the screws of the TPS
5. Adjust the output voltage to about 88% of the input voltage.
6. Tighten the screws.
7. Check voltages again.

If you are unable to meet this spec., replace the TPS. They are abailble from Autozone for less than the Stealership.

Theres is another 4 wire connector with 3 wires attached that goes to the transmission. Some people make the adjustment using this connector. Ground is labeled D on this connector.

On a 90 renix the square ( transmission connector is used ) I believe you have the abc part right. The 3 wire plug outpui should be ball park 0.8 v similar to a standard tranny......

When you say theres a three wire set on the TPS cable set is that on the TPS or is it what the TPS plugs in to? Also what tool do I need to adjust the voltage?

the connector that is flat with three wire this is your ecu ( computer) lead. My ouput on my 90 renix xj is .8v +\- .5 v.... the big square one is for the transmission although it has 4 spots it only carries 3 wires . use this connection for setting the tps.A digital multimeter is used to read the voltage output by back probing the wires) a good search will net you the proper testing proceedure in detail. Basically dividing your ouput voltage by your input voltage nets you a percentage number EG : if input voltage is 4.64 v and output voltage 3.85.v then 3.85 divided by 4.64 = 0.829 or about 83%

thats sounds about right and if it is read in the engine side it is opposite, but it is reccommanded being set to 12-14 %, so that would be 88-86% on trans connector . they work opposite.

I ran my tps at 83% with a new tps that didnt solve my issues, to make a long story short after many new sensors with no luck I cranked my tps out put to 4.2 v with 4.64 in,puts me @about 10% . Bam most issues solved ! There is a good article on the aw4 transmission with tps set proceedures as well as a good tcu diagram with all pin assignments . Its made by by a Florida Transmission shop sorry i dont have the link but im sure its been posted here somewhere.....

If anyone can get me that link thatd be awesome.

My mistake on voltage readings for the 3 wire flat connector. 4.64 is typical for the input on the square connector.

I know of a mechanic (17 years with dealership) who suggests no more than a 12% difference. Happy to learn that 10% works well.

To probe the connectors, I use small needle like nails to slip between the insulator and the wire until I hit the connector. I usually probe from the harness side rather than the TPS side. The foam insulator has always sealed back up. When doing this, I always check for continuity to the connector before plugging and taking readings.

Back