• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

beadlocks and speed

pro-rallye

NAXJA Forum User
i tried searching but couldn't find what i was looking for regarding beadlocks. i have a set of 15x10 black steelies running with 33x12.5 muds and don't want to risk blowing a bead when i air down (mostly in winter). seeing how it's my DD, can wheels with beadlocks cruise down a highway at 75mph in balance with no adverse side effects? any input would be great, thanks.

pro-rallye said:
i tried searching but couldn't find what i was looking for regarding beadlocks. i have a set of 15x10 black steelies running with 33x12.5 muds and don't want to risk blowing a bead when i air down (mostly in winter). seeing how it's my DD, can wheels with beadlocks cruise down a highway at 75mph in balance with no adverse side effects? any input would be great, thanks.
Allied 32 bolt rockathon beedlocks are self centering, look good, and cheap, bout $150 a wheel.......mine ride pretty well even at 80mph. We have a tire shop in our area that will "pad" balance the tires, meaning they glue weighted pads to the inside of the tires, works pretty well.

You're much more likely to blow a bead, especially at very low snow pressure, with those 10" rims.........maybe why you're looking for an alternative. Race cars ran beadlocks before wheelers started running them............. :)

I've driven from CA to CO and Moab at up to and over 80 mph, don't see why they'd be different from any other rim. I have Champion beadlocks, and with 35" MT/R's I never even had to balance them and they were smooth at all speeds.

Beadlocks are one area where you get what you pay for. I ran Allied 32-bolts on my XJ and never had any problems. I took several 4-8 hour trips at speeds at or near 75mph and never had any problems with balancing or leaks. Just don't skimp on quality and make sure the bolts are tight (I checked mine every oil change).

Back