• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relocating Vac Bottle

BlueMJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am finally getting around to replacing my vaccuum bottle after an accident 5 years ago.....didn't even realize it was missing til this winter....

I want to relocate it into the engine bay, plenty of room in there with the 4cyl....

Anyone have pics, suggestions, ideas?

TIA

The early XJ's had a "tin can" type of vacuum bottle with a nice bracket. They work well and already have the one way valve inside.

You can Custom fab a vacume canister from a good size piece of ABS pipe and a couple caps. You can make it any size shape that you need to fit it and look totally custom.

Mount with hose clamps or duct tape.

Bones

P.S. if the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy

I lost mine on the Rubicon and haven't replaced it after a month or so. What does that thing do anyways???

it controls most all the hvac, some map sensor functions, power brakes,ect- everything related to vacuum, since it holds vacuum. Newer engines survive fine without it- the engine takes up the slack...older engines have fits- most notable being the defroster comeing on anytime it feels like it.

unrelated brain twister- if you have vacuum, and add more, are you actually getting more of something, or less? :)
If its less, is it more of less, or less of more?

That thing just is a vacuum buffer. Like storing vacuum and keeping a steady supply available when needed. In the old days, wipers were run from manifold vacuum. They only worked when you were going down hill or cruising! A vacuum bottle may have helped a little in the transition from high manifold vacuum to none.

If you fab one of your own, make sure and put the one way valve in it. Otherwise you will have a lot of issues then at full throttle.

old_man said:
If you fab one of your own, make sure and put the one way valve in it. Otherwise you will have a lot of issues then at full throttle.

On the plastic "Hindenburg" bottles is there supposed to be a one-way valve on the outside somewhere? Where does it connect to on the bottle? When I bought the XJ all the vacuum lines were toasty. So I kinda replaced all the lines as best I could without a diagram. Maybe I should have a look-see at a diagram.

Back