• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interesting electrical demons, do I fry my computer

SeanP

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I guess this is modified stuff...

I have done extensive welding on my rig over that last many moons. Most with my battery disconnected, but not all. I did have the PCM disconnected for a bunch and put the connectors back on. My power distribution unit (relay box) was moved a little but the wiring wasn't disconnected. My ARB and rock lights are unplugged.

OK here's the symptoms:

Windshield washers started even though the stalk was in the off position. I could increase the speed of them but they just ended up stopping with the switch in the off position mid-stroke. Weird.

Drove the rig, but it wouldn't shift from 1 to 2. (new crawler box and gears are SLOOOOW :) ).

Headlights wont work. The panel lights work but the two arrows for the hazard/turnsignals are on solidly. When I use the turn signal, the light that illuminates the shifter blinks.

AC works, but it's not turning on the e-fan like it should.

That's just the stuff I tried, there might be more fun stuff yet to be discovered.

I disconnected the battery and reconnected it. Mind you the rig has been started twice in the last year. It's a 97. WTF is up? Did I fry the PCM? Weird, weird, weird.

SeanP

Yeah, I heard that Cherokees don't have the best grounds and I have had 3 yj's, 3 xj's & 2 zj's and they all have had electrical problems at 1 time or another. I had a lot of electrical short problems with getting my arb hooked up and fried the arb wiring harness so I had to get another 1. Welding does weird stuff to your electrical system if your battery was hooked up. Use a test light and see where/if you can find disconnects. Maybe you fried a bunch of fuses.
The arb worked great this weekend, but towards the end the comp would come on every so often even without me disengaging/engaging the front locker. I the comp up and sealed the "o" ring and than sealed the outside of the comp with the stuff that squeezed out. I think the tank is pretty tight now. I'm happy I was able to give you a small tad advise with my very limited knowledge SeanP :laugh: I have lots of book knowledge though and could do some surprising mods if I needed to. Hope to wheel with you in the future. You learn as you go. This weekend I saw a Birfield swap/fix, tie rod rebend, roll over extraction, carb prob, etc on the rubicon. Man that trail is so awesome, extreme stuff in areas, but generally a fun and moderate trail throughout most of it with unsurpassed natural beauty.
Troy

Back