• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble newbie question

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
Searched, but didn't see my specific question...
How much play, if any, should there be in the tie rod and drag link. I can take each in my hand and twist/rotate maybe 1/4 inch. It is a definite visible twisting at the ball ends, both sides. Do I tighten them up, or replace them?

This is a '92 XJ with 159k miles. The trackbar, steering stabilizer, and both axle ujoints have been replaced.

Aw, come on...16 views and nobody can tell me if they are supposed to be tight or a little wobbly? :dunno: It's not like I am asking for pictures of a Patriot Blue XJ on 33s with black rims.

The ball type joints (tie rod end and drag link ends) are supposed to rotate and twist. But the ball being loose in the socket, indicates wear. If the ball wiggles or moves side to side (front to rear or even up and down) in the socket, it´s probably time for replacement. It´s often easier to hear the tick, tick ,tick or clack clack clack, than it is to see. Easiest to inspect with someone on the steering wheel, turning the wheel 1/8 turn left and right, while someone with a flashlight takes a real close look and listens. Grabbing them near the joint and shaking them vigioursly up and down (left and right) is also a technique, you can feel the clack in your hands.

The tick or clack is subtle, not real loud. Twisting the cup on the ball is OK, but if the ball wiggles in the cup (not rotates, but wiggles) it´s a sign of wear.
Might be a good idea to have a mech. look at them, if they are questionable. If he says they are bad, have him show you.

That's the wierd part. I took it to the dealer (good) because I knew the wheel u-joints were bad. Had those replaced, but still had some bad shaking. Took it back in and they replaced the track bar and steering stabilizer, but didn't mention the ball joint ends. Said the shocks were O.K. They didn't try to sell me a whole new front end(shocking isn't it). Wheels balanced.... Still has the shakes when you hit a pothole at speed. Hmm.

Bounced my wifes 87 off of a guard rail, after that, it seemed to want to wander some and rarely (but sometimes) under just the right conditions, would wobble. Do the shimmy shake. Usually an uneven road surface, while braking.
Seemed to be a combination of things, not just one. The 235/75 R 15´s seemed to be a factor, a little added air pressure seemed to hjelp. Changed the staiblizer, didn´t help. New Trac bar made an improvement. checked my front wheel bearings and control arm bushings, they seemed good. The sector shaft in my steering box had a little up and down play and the center over adjustment in the box was off. Adjusted the center over and it helped the wander a bit. After replacing the steering box and a good alignment, the problem, never reacurred. But it was only a few months, before my wife totaled it, in a roll over. Don´t really know if it was cured or not.
My 88 (30X9.50/15) has adjustable top ball joints and a little extra negetive camber, seems to help with stability a bit (never has done the shimmy shake). Was a hidden recall here in Germany, to install adjsutable ball joints, to deal with customer handling complaints (people drive really fast here). My wifes 95 has 60 series tires (225/60 R 16) and drives like a rock.

Big Wheel Bob said:
If your suspension checks out to be tight, it could be a problem with your caster angle. Have an alignment shop check that out for you.

I did get it aligned when I had the tires balanced. Actually, I need to wear out those tires as soon as possible. They are some offbrand street tire that look really really bad with my new AJ bumpers and rock rails. Maybe I should just leave it alone and I'll need tires sooner. :D

Back