• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash lights

cdjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled off my cluster panel and removed the head light pull knob just as the manual says to do by pushing on the release button. After reassembly no dash lights when I put my lights on. If I pull it out slowly I can get them to come on but I havn't reached the parking light detent yet. As soo as I get to the detent out they go. Anyone know what I fudged up?

Please help

Just a guess, but I replaced mine a year or so ago. Put everything together and had, if a remember correctly, a similiar problem to yours. The knob and shaft, wasn´t seated all the way to the stop, mine was new and stiff, I finally held my breath and used my fist as a hammer, on the end of the knob and it seated an extra quarter of an inch, worked fine. I seem to also remember having to twist the knob some during assembly, to get the switch part and the variable resistor wheel, to line up, on the shaft. If you bang it, before the shaft lines up in the right position, in the center of the resistor wheel, you can shatter the ceramic wheel.
One of those jobs, done late at night, after a long day, sorry my recollection isn´t sharper.

Ok here is an update to the problem. All fuses are good, all bulbs are good. I do not have parking lights when I pull the knob out to the first detent, all lights except the dash work when out to head lights? Looks like I need a new switch?

Look behind the knob, should be about 1/8th inch between the knob and the flat nut. Try pulling the shaft, turning it and putting it back in again.
If your parking lights worked before you pulled the shaft and don´t work now, it´s probably a contact inside the switch, or the shaft isn´t seated all the way in, detents aren´t aligning properly.
If you removed the plug, to the switch, it may not be seated completely.
If your parking lights weren´t working before, you looked at the switch, and there is power to the socket (check power at the light socket) where the bulb plugs in, dirty/corroded grounds at the sockets are pretty common. If the grounds are bad, often see dim blinkers, dim lights and occasionaly, the wrong light blinking.

Yes, there is about 1/8" there, I also removed and rotated the switch several times....I can't seem to get a good look at the harness but I never removed it. I think it was just the timing or I fudged it when I put the shaft back in. I will check the sockets as suggested. Thanks for the reply.

Cdjeep

Back