• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Was wondering

Rob Mayercik

NAXJA Member #920
NAXJA Member
Noticed a pretty good shimmy at 55mph in the last week since NACfest... took it to the local tire shop over the weekend for an alignment and tire balance. Both were "way out of whack". It feels much better now.

I can see possibly knocking a wheel weight off in the rocks, but is it common for XJs that are 'wheeled to require an alignment after each excursion? Mine was really off because I've had two 'wheeling trips since the last alignment, but I'm wondering if maybe this is evidence of something being too worn to properly maintain its setting under greater than average stresses.

What say you 'wheelers?

Rob

I throw wheel wieghts all the time, notice the clean spot where they used to be.
Front axle U-joints, will act just like out of balance tires, with just the right amount of play.
Showed the guy at the tire shop the other day, that spinning the tire 180 on the rim, is better than using like 10 ounces of wieght. A good tire guy will look at the readings on the balancer and can let the air out, break the bead, turn the tire some, reinflate and re-balance with half the balancing wieght, the machine indicated. Sometimes takes three tries. Worth a good tip, if he does it right.

Back