• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tdc Sensor????????

rtaboada

NAXJA Forum User
sometimes my Xj wants to ignite , I saw in 1 articulate about TDC sensor, as I can know if it is the this problem , I have a 1988 XJ,
the electrical system and ignitiion its fine!!!!

rtaboada,

The TDC sensor is know my it more common name of Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS). But to add confusion to the process the CPS is also referred to as the engine speed sensor in some of the 88 XJ factory Service manuals.

The CPS can go bad and it been recommended on here to change it out once you have 100,000 miles.

If you buy it at the dealer you have the option of a high altitude or a normal CPS. They cost the same price so buy the high altitude. It gives you more advance which translates into more power. The only difference in the sensor is the location of the sensor on the mounting bracket.

Your engine has a knock sensor so you should experience no pinging. If you have pinging then you need to invest in a new knock sensor. It a dealer onlyb part and runs $70-$75.

Hope that clears up things.

Martin

Sí, el sensor de TDC (que aquí en el EE. UU. llamamos un CPS, cuando Martin escribió) controla ambas la ignición que cronometra y la operación de inyector de combustible. Cuándo el CPS falla, a veces el fracaso es esporádico, y en otros tiempo que lo para simplemente. Tengo un 1988 Cherokee -- cuando mi CPS falló, falló repentinamente y completamente. Yo nunca tuve un problema hasta que un anochecer cuando manejara hogar y estacionara el vehículo. El día siguiente que lo no comenzaría.

El CPS para el Cherokee se localiza en la cima de la campana que alberga, en el lado de conductor. Si usted se sienta en el adelantar del asiento de conductor y la mirada hacia el motor, el CPS se sienta en aproximadamente la posición de 11:00 en punto.

The 1988 4.0L XJ had some problems with the distributor being a couple of degrees off. This caused the pulse generator in the distributor to be a little bit off the one generated by the Crankshaft position sensor. Turn the crankshaft until the timing mark on the pulley is aligned with 0 degrees on the timing cover indicator. Then remove the distributor cap and scribe a mark on the distributor where the trailing edge of the rotor is. Then replace the cap. If the trailing edge of the rotor is still in front of the lagging edge of the #1 position, then the distributor is one of the ones affected by a manufacturing error. To correct the situation, you will need to remove the distributor, cut off the tabs that keep it from turning while installed, and install it where the rotor trailing edge, is aligned with the #1 position's trailing edge. It will only be a turn of approx 3/8 ths of an inch. But it does make a difference in the way it runs.

Back