• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine trouble

tnfan77

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. My engine lately has been hitting a hesitation spot around 1000 rpm. We have done some work with the vacuum system and im wondering if this has anything do with this. Any help will be appreciated. Also, my emissions (HO and CO) are slightly elevated. Anyone know how to cure this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jake

It would help if you tell us what year XJ, what engine, and what transmission.

However ... especially if you've been playing with the vacuum system, it sounds like a vacuum leak could be the problem. A vacuum leak could fool the computer into thinking you're running lean, causing it to richen the mix. That could explain the elevated HC and CO readings.

Im sorry, I COMPLETELY forgot to put what engine I have. Its a 1990 cherokee limited with the 4.0. The only weird thing is, when the egr wasnt hooked up, there was just open vacuum line. Now there is the weird hesitation at idle after more vacuum is being used. Thanks eagle. :worship: Anyone else have any ideas?

the vacuum line wasnt hooked up because the egr valve transducer is bad. it probably needs to be replaced and i think it comes with the egr valve. when the egr valve is out make sure the egr port is cleaned out in the intake manifold

Hey, im not really sure what you mean. It was unhooked because the vacuum lines melted. Yes, there was a round black plastic thing that melted too, is that what your talking about?

Hmmm, well that makes sense. However, the engine runs fine besides the hesitation. Actually, its never run better, besides the hesitation. I am thinking that it is something really simple that be solved.

jake

what exactly does this transducer do? Also, we took it to the parts store, and they had no idea what it was. Also, how much am i looking at for a new egr and transducer? Also, which part store do you reccomend? thanks

jake

you need to get it from the dealer it comes with the egr valve. i'm not sure why it is there but it haas to be. inside of it there is a diaphragm and a little spring. moisture gets inside and destroys the spring turning into rusty powder.

A flat spot in the acceleration curve can be caused by a TPS throttle position sensor. A very common failure, especially if you power wash your engine.

Back