• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crossmember fabrication

witt

NAXJA Forum User
i fubar'd my crossmember a little bit.... anyone got the dimensions for homemade crossmember..... one that monts flush with the framerails.... (doesnt hang down)

Thanks
Eric

For my Ford control arm crossmember, I had this made out of flat 1/4" stock that a machine shop bend up the edges to make it into a C-channel with ~1" legs. I actually used a similar, but smaller piece for my tranny mount. But it bolts to a special MJ-only bracket and the legs point down. This is a leftover chunk showing the cross section:
15265680.jpg

I cut down the legs on my C-channel to mount the flat middle snug to the frame.
22091514.jpg

Just ignore the angle iron and the plethora of bolts. I doubt that a tranny crossmember needs to be that strong.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Last edited:
When my crossmember was fubar'd I made one out of another stock crossmember. I cut the bottom off at the lip and welded 1/4" plate all the way across the bottom, then added boxed tubing along the edges on top for additional rigidity. Here's some pics, it's flat and has very good clearance, and is pretty simple to make. It's been on for a few years since these pics were taken, and has seen much hard use, and it looks the same now as it does in these pics.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

i think what ill do is get a stock XJ crossmember... and copy the dimensions down onto a 1/4" steel and drill the holes for the mounts'n stuff... it should be better... tucks everything up a little higher....

kool.. thanks for the advice and ideas

Back