• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas style fluid tube on 231?

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
Planning on installing a HD sye in a few weeks and thought that I would drill and tap two holes around the drain and fill plugs. 90% brass fittings would go into these and a clear tube between the fittings would give me the skinny on fluid condition/level. Ive seen it done on a 300.
The thing is that the case is aluminum. Would two, 1/4 holes inch affect the structural integrity of the back half of the case? Where would be the best places to put them? thanks.

Cool idea. I don’t think it would have any significant affect on the case integrity as long as you stay away from the internal and external ribs and load bearing areas near the bearings. I’m not claming to be an expert or anything but I do a bit of computer stress analysis at work so I have an idea where stress concentrates and whatever. You basically want to stay away from corners and drill where there is a flat section of wall.

cool, thanks.

Hmmm, wonder if you could just mill a tapered slot from the inside out and epoxy a clear tapered lexan piece in there. Kind of like the old A/C systems that had a sight glass in them...

i don't know if you've seen this or not, but this guy did it on a flipped d300 case. i know its not the same but it may give you ideas.

http://homepage.mac.com/rv6a/d300mods.html

breather03.jpg

thats pretty much exactly what im planning on doing, but a D300 case is cast steel. I like the idea of a glass sight tube, but it seems more leak prone and more "damaging" than 2 tapped holes.

Couldn' you find 2 fittings that fit in the drain and fill holes? Then you wouldn't need to tap and you could fill it through the tube. Just a thought.

What kind of tube were you planning to use. I looked into this once before for my cooling system and couldn’t find a tubing that had an appropriate temperature rating and was clear or even translucent. It would suck to be out on the trail and have it go on ya. Anyone have any idea how hot the t-case gets while wheelin? I guess you could carry a couple plugs as a last resort. You may also consider some kind of O-ring fitting rather than the NPT as that will avoid the spreading force that a pipe thread applies. I like the idea and id like to see it work. Keep me posted.

I doubt the Tcase fluid would get too terribly hot. At least, not hot enough to melt tubing found at your local hardware store. Perhaps Ill call AA tomorrow and ask. I might end up tapping the drain/fill plugs, but it seems like it would make thing a PITA to change fluid out. I could add another plug on top of the fitting, but that would leave me with a 1/2" hole to put ATF into, and its hard enough as it is.

Last edited:
If you went that route, just put the tapered fill cap from a bottle of diff fluid on the ATF bottle and fill it through the tube.

Lucas said:
I doubt the Tcase fluid would get too terribly hot. At least, not hot enough to melt tubing found at your local hardware store. Perhaps Ill call AA tomorrow and ask. I might end up tapping the drain/fill plugs, but it seems like it would make thing a PITA to change fluid out. I could add another plug on top of the fitting, but that would leave me with a 1/2" hole to put ATF into, and its hard enough as it is.
I was just out climbing around under my jeep and it looks like there are good spots near the output that are flat on the outside. I don’t know what’s on the other side but if there is a clear spot that would work. I think you would want to go a bit above the stock fill plug and I agree that it would make it some kind of difficult to get the plugs in and out if they were connected. You would need some kind of swivel and even then it would be a PITB.

I did a bit of looking and found that you can get soft PVDF (polyvinylidene fluoride). It looks like it would be a good choice. Its rated to –20F to 250F and its compatible with Hydraulic fluid. Its part number 5390K15 at www.McMaster.com you have to get $14 of it from them though so it’s a bit spendy. I wonder if AA would tell you what kind they use. On thing is for sure you want to get one that can take the Temp and is compatible with the fluid; or it will be a problem sooner or later.:soapbox:

Seems like a lot of work for little gain.

My AII tube is all discolored and can barely see the level now. Might be from oil rather than ATF but who knows.

The tube on the AII is for different angles with different needs for oil level.

The 231 unless clocked diferently has one spot to fill to and that is the top hole. Fill it to that level and you're good. If it is leaking fix the leak.

Might get you bling points if that is what you want but what other purpose would it serve on a 231? :confused:

hinkley

Bronco said:

I did a bit of looking and found that you can get soft PVDF (polyvinylidene fluoride). It looks like it would be a good choice. Its rated to –20F to 250F and its compatible with Hydraulic fluid. Its part number 5390K15 at www.McMaster.com you have to get $14 of it from them though so it’s a bit spendy. I wonder if AA would tell you what kind they use. On thing is for sure you want to get one that can take the Temp and is compatible with the fluid; or it will be a problem sooner or later.:soapbox:

Simple:

dial AA
"Hey- I accidentally broke the sight glass tube thing on the transfer while I was working on my jeep. What kind of tubing is it you guys use, so I can replace it?"

Automatic, visible proof that your 231 has fluid and the proper level of fluid without having to get tools.

this sort of thing is used on construction and military equipment for this very reason.

Mark Hinkley said:
Seems like a lot of work for little gain.

My AII tube is all discolored and can barely see the level now. Might be from oil rather than ATF but who knows.

The tube on the AII is for different angles with different needs for oil level.

The 231 unless clocked diferently has one spot to fill to and that is the top hole. Fill it to that level and you're good. If it is leaking fix the leak.

Might get you bling points if that is what you want but what other purpose would it serve on a 231? :confused:

hinkley

Not so much fo the bling factor unless I start putting mirrors under the jeep. As stated before its just the ease of finding out how much is in there and how the ATF looks. It doesn't seem like too much trouble if the back half of the case is already out. Just drill two holes, tap them, dope up two fittings and voila. No more sticking my finger into the Tcase to see if the level is ok.

Back