• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi Lift Jack Point?

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
Got a hitch in the back, which will do in a pinch, but the front has only the bumper.
Was thinking of a piece of 2" square stock, behind the bumper, running to the bumper mounts. I have the OEM, tow hook and rubber bumper braces.
Cut the end of the square stock to fit under and in front of the bumper mount. Maybe heat it and put a small bow in there, to match the form of the bumper some?
Wonder if the bumper mounts/frame will stand the wieght?
Won´t need it often, but a little prior planning may save a headache and a heep of digging with my folding shovel.

if you jack it up right under the mounts if will hold fine ...been doing it for years and i've never had a problem...the bumper even bends there for the bolt and the jack fits in snug

"Was thinking of a piece of 2" square stock, behind the bumper, running to the bumper mounts. I have the OEM, tow hook and rubber bumper braces.
Cut the end of the square stock to fit under and in front of the bumper mount. Maybe heat it and put a small bow in there, to match the form of the bumper some?'

I have been thinking of doing something similar except for making new bumper mount side pieces out of 1/4" plate. I want to hide the 2" receiver behind the license. I will find or make a spring loaded flip-down license plate holder.

they have an ew deal that hooks to your wheel and jacks off that. Looks pretty sweet and you don't have to worry about having to jack through all the suspension to get a tire off the ground.

Weasel said:
they have an ew deal that hooks to your wheel and jacks off that. Looks pretty sweet and you don't have to worry about having to jack through all the suspension to get a tire off the ground.
You remember where you saw it? Sounds like a good fabrication project to do.

It'll bend the bumper, but only so far. As for integrety, it'll hold it.

is.php

Bronco said:
I lift from mine all the time. It is plenty strong near the mount.
I do this all the time. I have never lifted from anywhere else on my jeep. I don’t even have the slightest dent. It did slip once and took off a bit of paint that is the sum total of damage.

Easy there bucko. I wasn't contradicting you. I was just showing what would happen if it was lifted from the center of the bumper. Peace, man :)

I didn’t mean to front. I was just restating and clarifying. Peace bro

Weasel said:

What about when you need to change the tire?

They make a bumper lift attachment for the hi-lift. I'll take some pics and post them if you'd like, or just do a google search and you can see one.

Fergie

Not to be a total noob here, but...

I try to use my hi-lift as little as possible (actually, I have the Jack-All) as they are inherently dangerous - one of the guys in my club lost an eye to one...

So, to deal with on-the-trail flats, this works:

~ Drive the flat tire up on a rock
~ Use the bottle jack under the axle
~ Remove the rock
~ Change your tire
I know it's a dependant type of thing - sometime you do need the Hi-Lift. IF, however, your on solid ground, this way is an alternative and it's pretty safe.

I will admit, with a stock bumper myself, it's nice to see that hi-lifting from my tow-point mounts is viable. I've not done it yet, but this info beats the heck outta spending a ton of cash for a new bumper up front...LOL

Hope this info helps someone on the trail sometime.

It's been in the higlift adds in most of the current 4x4 mags. Looks pretty easy to make atually, just to rubber coated hooks the hook into your wheel that are connected with a strap. The strap then connects to a piece that slips over the jack nose. It's failry obvious it wouldn't work to change a tire. And yeah they are dangerous and you have to watch them but I would trade mine for anything.

TekkaMaki said:
I always just jack from my rock rails :dunno:
That works but a lot of folks have dents in the side of there jeeps form that method. It would be a shame to mess up a nice clean rig like that.:cry:

Bronco said:
That works but a lot of folks have dents in the side of there jeeps form that method. It would be a shame to mess up a nice clean rig like that.:cry:

True, I usually throw a towel over the jack to prevent scrathes, I think I took it off to wipe my hands before snapping that pic, but if the Jeep shifted or the jack slipped it would most likely F up the door towel or not.

As far as Hi LIfts not being safe, I've heard that before but I wonder if it's from malfunction or more from people not using them safely? If you threw the release while bending over the jack with the handle down I could see that being a little nasty :gee: but you shouldn't be doing that :nono:

Folks,

The first thing I ordered when I got my XJ (together with the lift actually) was the HiLift jack. I still haven't used it, but I remember I tried it when it arrived and it scared me.

I tried to lift the XJ from the hitch at the rear. The truck started moving sideways, so I lowered it immediately. I do not know about using the rock rails for a lift point, but I just do not feel safe lifting the XJ from a hitch, it may just fall over.

Am I paranoid? Did I do something wrong?

Rgds
-------
John SV1CEC

SV1CEC said:
Folks,

The first thing I ordered when I got my XJ (together with the lift actually) was the HiLift jack. I still haven't used it, but I remember I tried it when it arrived and it scared me.

I tried to lift the XJ from the hitch at the rear. The truck started moving sideways, so I lowered it immediately. I do not know about using the rock rails for a lift point, but I just do not feel safe lifting the XJ from a hitch, it may just fall over.

Am I paranoid? Did I do something wrong?

Rgds
-------
John SV1CEC
It'll stay put if you lift from the front. From the rear it won't. The front wheels, if not blocked, will move and let the rear end baiscally pivot around. That's why it went sideways on you.

On another safety note, ALWAYS leave the release lever in the up position. If it's down and you drop the handle or it slips from your grip, don't be in front of it because it's fixin to unjack itself in a most expeditious manner (think, up down up down up down). Many have been knocked out, lost teeth or worse, I've heard of death from a blow from the handle. :gee:

Safety hijack over.

I think everybody that has used a Hi Lift more than once, has slapped themselves in the side of the head with the handle. Know I did once. :wow:

Back