• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help

Professor Bobo

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the u-joints on the front axle and now diff fluid is leaking out the drivers side.(the short side). I know that it's probably the seal. My question is: How do you access the seal? Is it thru the axle tube or in the pumkin itself. The axle is a D30 non-vac. disconnect in a '93 XJ. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

The seals are in the end of the axle tubes at the center section.The ring gear and carrier need to be removed to replace these seals.
Wayne

Will I need to re-adjust and re-shim anything? Is it just remove axles, then carrier, replace seal(s) and the re-assemble or do I need to re-adjust everything like when the gears are replaced?

This is fairly common. You may have just folded the seal over. Pull the axle and reinstall it CAREFULLY. Rotate it while the splines are going through the seal.

Then spray the axle tube out good with carb cleaner or the like and let it sit a while so you can see if it's still leaking before you put it all back together.

I did the exact same thing, and mine leaked for months before I got around to redoing it like this.

This is just great. Yesterday I took my front axle apart to replace a leaking seal. The left side leaked, always dripping. So I figured I'd do them both while I had them all apart. A real pain to get them in flush, but I did it. Put it all back together everything seemed cool... Until I drove it. The left side stopped dripping, but the right side literally pours out... a stream just like opening a bottle and letting it run out. It's going all over the side of my XJ, on my exhaust (smells wonderful) and really making a mess. I don't have a question here, I know what I have to do, pull it apart again and do over. Just wanted to share my misery. Unless someone has a better idea...

As nuts as it sounds... I thought of that this morning while I was driving! It even came to mind when making left turns... Kept getting bad visuals!

Back