• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What amp alternators came in '90 XJs?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Just like the title says..

What amp alternators came in '90 XJs? I have the Pioneer package, and it does not have the tow package.

What size alternator should be in there?

Your XJ uses the Delco CS-130 alternator, same as my 88 XJ. I searched on the internet and found a 140 amp version with the iceberg case. I installed it and has worked fine. I paid basically the same price for my new from this rebuilder as the parts store wanted for a rebuild.

Is your alternator bad?

I'd install the 105 amp if you are buying one from a rebuilder, check with your local rebuilder and see what he can do for you.

Also before replacing an alternator do what craigH suggests in this article: http://www.olypen.com/craigh/charge.htm Do clean up the grounds and apply oxgard like he says. There a ground on the driver's fender near the washer bottle, there also the one on the block were the NEG bat cable attaches and the ground strap from the chassis to the engine. Use a wire brush in an electric drill, that removes the paint in short order.

In addition to what craig says run a bonding wire from the case of the alternator to the chassis. keep this wire under 24 inches to see any improvement on the instrument panel volt meter.

Nope, alternator is brand new... Just wanted to make sure the shop put in the right one. 100 AMP ok?

Thanks

From what I understand, they come in two sizes, the CS-121/74 Amp and the CS-131/105 Amp. The 121 and the 131 are the diameter of the alterantor in millimeters.

Back