• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

open radiator conversion help PLEASE

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
Almost complete with radiator conversion, and was looking at the temp sending unit on newer style tstat housing. The new sending unit has 2 wires, the old one has 1 wire. How do i get this to work, or can i get to work.
Thanx Digger

Your changing the wrong thing, mate.

If you had a closed system, the temp sender in the head is for your gauges, the one down on the driver's side of the block is for the ECM, and the one in the radiator tank is for your aux fan.

If all you're doing is converting to a new style radiator, you are not changing the temp sender for the gauges or for the ECM. All you need is a way to control the aux fan. Various people have reported finding that magic sender that fits the hole in the new style t-stat housing and will control the aux fan. When pressed for details, most of these reports have proven to be wrong. I think someone found a Honda sender that might work, but not clear on that.

For now, I suggest you wire the aux fan to a toggle switch and control it manually while you research how to control it automatically.

Already done that toggle switch thing. I know the temp sender is in the top of the head so i guess i will just leave it like that. Thanx for the info

Did this conversion on an 89 three years ago. I was able to use the threaded bung in a newer T-stat housing and a thermo switch to power the auxilary fan automatically, not just with the a/c on. The thermo switch provided a ground for the coil of a standard 5 pole bosch relay (only 4 of 5 poles used). The switch was closed at 215*F and would open at 195*F, it was an older Mopar application I believe for a K car and I'll research to see if I still have the part number.

On a parallel circuit a toggle switch mounted under the dash where I could reach it also provided a switched ground for the relay coil. When stuck in traffic at the toll booth I would just throw the toggle switch and the fan would come on. It is important to wire the + side of the relay coil to a keyed circuit so that you won't inadvertantly leave the toggle switch on and walk away from a parked vehicle which would kill the battery.

Also when doing this conversion I advise use of a newer style auxilary fan (96+ I believe) which has a different blade pitch & pattern. You can tell the difference as one has rather squarish blades and one has curled or swirl looking blades. Better air draw with the swirled bladed fan.

I miss the 89, sold it a couple of months after the conversion, :doh: but was happy I did this conversion to it.

Good Luck,
Tom

I finally finished my conversion. I cant believe how easy it was. The jeep is now running just a hair under 210 but it is constant. :clap:

Boatwrench said:
Did this conversion on an 89 three years ago. I was able to use the threaded bung in a newer T-stat housing and a thermo switch to power the auxilary fan automatically, not just with the a/c on. The thermo switch provided a ground for the coil of a standard 5 pole bosch relay (only 4 of 5 poles used). The switch was closed at 215*F and would open at 195*F, it was an older Mopar application I believe for a K car and I'll research to see if I still have the part number.

On a parallel circuit a toggle switch mounted under the dash where I could reach it also provided a switched ground for the relay coil. When stuck in traffic at the toll booth I would just throw the toggle switch and the fan would come on. It is important to wire the + side of the relay coil to a keyed circuit so that you won't inadvertantly leave the toggle switch on and walk away from a parked vehicle which would kill the battery.

Also when doing this conversion I advise use of a newer style auxilary fan (96+ I believe) which has a different blade pitch & pattern. You can tell the difference as one has rather squarish blades and one has curled or swirl looking blades. Better air draw with the swirled bladed fan.

I miss the 89, sold it a couple of months after the conversion, :doh: but was happy I did this conversion to it.

Good Luck,
Tom

What I did was take the radiator to a shop where they soldered in a 3/8" NPT fitting for me for $30. I then ordered the Painless Performance electric fan thermostat from Summit for $32.

Back