• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

painless wireing

I

imma honky

im the third owner, an as i was removing my back interior panels, i noticed alot of cuts/splices/tape in the wireing. Most things work fine, it just looks butchered and it looks like they threw in some extra wires...... I was wondering if anyone has used painless on an early XJ 89,90,91? ......

Dude,

The first question you ask is "does everything work?" if the answer is yes then the next question you ask is "are some of the connections done poorly?"

You need to call the 800 number for Techauthority at Chrysler and ask to buy the $20 electrical troubleshooting manual. This book is worth it's weight in gold. Don't try to find it on the web site, it is not listed... but if you call they will tell you they have it.

If sounds like you may of had the towing package and from some reason they removed the electrical connector. On 88 XJs the connector for the trailer lights connected in the driver's side quarter panel just above the rear wheel. If you see a bunch of tape there but no connector then it sounds like the XJ was repaired for some reason.

I priced the chassis harness at the dealer 3+ years ago for my 88 XJ and it was $550 or $600. They offered two version - with or without towing package.

You did not say if you plan on pulling out the entire harness to fix a cosmetic problem. The addition wires that were run may be rear speaker wires. You had to get rear speakers from the factory or else they did not include that wire in the bundle.

HTH

Martin

Back