• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

from an XJ to a TJ & vice versa..(axles)..

PC-UT-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is the Dana30 in the XJ basically identical to the one in the TJ? I'm sure like the control arm mounts and steering stuff is different, but like are the dimensions the same inside? How about a rear 44. Basically I want to transfer my front 30/30 kit and my entire rear 44 into a TJ. Please save all the comments saying TJ's blow...hard.

The front are exactly the same. Steering is the same, coil buckes, CA' mounts everything. The rear D44 housing is the same, well XJ D44's have thicker tubes than TJ 44's but that dosent matter. The major difference is that that XJ rear axle is set up for leafs using spring perches and the TJ axles use coils...thus needing coil buckets and CA' mounts and track-bar mounts.

BrettM said:
the D44 axle shafts are not the same lengths, but close. the brakes are almost certainly different also.

for swapping into a TJ, the front will go right in, the rear will need coil bracktry. Rubicon Express makes a coil bracket kit.

Well the D44 shafts must be close enough. On my box they were for either the TJ or the XJ.

BrettM said:
the D44 axle shafts are not the same lengths, but close. the brakes are almost certainly different also.

Brett is correct the axle shafts are different size, passanger side vs. drivers side. But the complete axle is the same size.

Hope that clearifys

Well the for the front axle it would just be the shafts & locker going in.
For the rear it would be the entire 44 from my XJ. And if the entire rear end dimensions are equal, then I don't see the problem in switching it out. And the 30/30 kit is for any Dana 30, regardless of model Jeep, so I don't see there being a problem there either.

PC-UT-XJ said:
Well the for the front axle it would just be the shafts & locker going in.
For the rear it would be the entire 44 from my XJ. And if the entire rear end dimensions are equal, then I don't see the problem in switching it out. And the 30/30 kit is for any Dana 30, regardless of model Jeep, so I don't see there being a problem there either.
you said only shafts and locker on the front, I hope you meant that. If you're swapping the gears also, they may not work. XJs came with High Pinion D30s for many years, and the TJs only came with Low Pinion Dana 30s. The carriers and shafts will interchange, but the gears absolutely will not.

Back