• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

h&t sye conversion from TJ to XJ???

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here is the deal I am picking up a RE hack and tap for like $20 (for hack and tap and output shaft and tailcone) out of a '98 TJ my question is will it work on my '89 XJ?

Can I get the TJ output shaft and install it into the XJ if I use the TJ tailcone?

DIG IT!

There is one difference that you might want to consider!The late model doesnt use needle bearings for the front drive sprocket and the gears have oil slots cut in them.The output shafts have different diameter at that spot.Reference TW's info and my pic!
http://www.4xshaft.com/NP231SHORTSHAFTFIXEDYOKEKITv2.pdf
hd%20sye.jpg

You are going to have to remove the tailshaft cone to install so you will need the cone replacement with seal. 96+ dont use that cone anymore so they dont need it. Red round piece at REs webpage.

ok here is the deal I got a TJ '98 231tcase at my disposal that had a hack and tap on it. so will the gears and stuff match up or not?

if you have the 98 tj case you should have enough parts to make it work.

you should be able to swap the TJ shaft, tailhousing, and SYE to your case no problem. if that doesn't work b/c of the reason RCP listed, just use the entire TJ case but swap your input shaft in necessary.

BUCKYXJ said:
ok here is the deal I got a TJ '98 231tcase at my disposal that had a hack and tap on it. so will the gears and stuff match up or not?
Either press out the bearings from your drive hub or use the entire output assembly from the 98'.

Alright pulled my tcase last night and took a look at it. It appears that I can use my stock output shaft with the '98 TJ hack and tap if I just use the TJ tailcone since that is where the seal is and all the snap rings line up all I gotta do today is get a new seal and cut the output shaft by about an inch. then tap it with a bolt (gotta find a tap and bolt too).
So I will post pics and tell you how it went tonight.
DIG IT

BUCKYXJ said:
Is there something wrong with the t-case? Just install it...

outputshaft is bent on the TJ case and also the pump is broke in it.

well got the sye done had to use a new TJ output shaft, and used my front shaft as a rear using an adapter flange. took it for a test drive up to 75 mph. with no vibes I was getting them at 55mph. So I am ready to wheel
DIG IT!

Back