• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aaaaaaah..........ha... Ha... Ha.. Ha!!!!!!!!!!

MountainGoat

NAXJA Forum User
Well today I went ahead and thought I'd try some of the snake oil on the market. Bought a can of the Sea Foam and also 8oz bottle of Energy Release engine treatment.

Started the 88 XJ 4.0 up and let it warm up. Then pulled the vacuum line from the brake booster and allowed it to suck the Sea Foam up... then flooded it to death. Turned the ignition off and allowed to set for 15 minutes. Can says 5 minutes and have seen other say they left it in for way longer. But I didnt have that much time.. have to goto work tonight. Poored the ER in the oil... then started it up. LOL! HOLY FRICKEN COW! Talk about smoke...... Hahahaha... my uppidy neighbors were pissed off. The one across the street was mowing his lawn and turned the mower off, closed his garage door and went inside. My other neighbor was working on his truck and decided to take leave cause the mushroom cloud coming from my XJ was taking over the block... Im still laughing my ass off thinking about it. It smoked for about 8 minutes. I might have poored a little to much down the intake....

Anyway I had a good laugh... wanted to share it... isnt much but Ive had a really crapy week and this just made up for that.

One of the mechanics near me uses an injector cleaner like that. First time I saw it done, I thought there was something seriously wrong with the vehicle. 5-8 minutes of smoking sounds about right. It will smoke a little afterwards until all the stuff gets out.

Copperhead

That's a crack up :roflmao: Nothing like pissing off the nieghbors :roflmao: Especially the ones that always complain.

But did it work???

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Havent noticed a difference yet. Only cause I drove it to and from work. I will be driving it around allot tomorrow ( Saturday).

The Energy Release is made by a local company here in Idaho. Some of the race track guys swear by it. I am not so trusting but am willing to try it out. I normally stay away from such products as this because I feel they are BS. But some of the people I work with have tried it and say it worked for them. Sooo here I am seeing if they are right. If anything I lost 9 bucks and gained some wisdom.

http://www.energyrelease.com

As far as the neighbors... I am still laughing my ass off about it. I mean you would have thought the huns where comin and everyone was locking their doors and hiding their daughters. LOL!!!!!!!!!!
After the smoke cleared I was the only person outside. Makes me want to do it again. :)

The Sea Foam way of doing things is like the old school way. We used to rev the rpm's up and keep them there while pooring some diesel or kerosene down the carb. That made a ton of smoke too.

Ah well... time for bed...

Last edited:
We used to use CS cannisters for mosquito control when in the field. Would pop a can about 300 yards upwind and that usually took care of them for a few hours which made our evening dinner and planning sessions on the hood of a quater ton much more bearable than 12 of us lighting off cheap cigars to try to keep them at bay.
Was planning a big family gathering here at the house so I did the same thing an hour before everybody got there, way up to the corner of my property, pulled the pin, spoon flew off and there she cooked, cleared out all the bugs for sure, squirrels too, but I guess the wind burped a bit and shifted a bit at some point and the neighbors about 3 lots away were not amused...at least the wife wasn't [she's one of those 'threatraical' types anyway], the husband commented that there was not a misquito to be seen for the rest of the nite and did I have any extras he could use.

I can't speak for "seafoam", I am REALLY JACKED to find out that they are still making Energy Release!!! I was living in Idaho when it first came out.

Did a job re-decking a couple of semi-truck trailers. I had to drill hundreds of pilot holes for metal screws to hold the deck planks down. Burned up lots of drill bits...until a buddy gave me a bit of ER. Dipped the bit in ER and got 10 times the life from a bit!! No kidding...the stuff virtualy STOPS FRICTION!

I also watched a guy 'treat' his old beater 67 chevy pick-up engine with ER...then to prove a point...drained out ALL the oil and drove a round trip of about 35 miles. I'm sold.

The stuff can be put in your crankcase, manual tranny, transfer case, differentials, and you can even mix it in grease to pack bearings ect.

I'm right tickled to now know where I can get some. THANKS!! :laugh2:

pcsutton..... np... good to hear the feedback on the ER. I noticed the XJ doesnt rattle as much today. It still does it though. Will see in another week whe it sounds like.

I am going to do the GM top cleaner this next time around. Maybe in two weeks when I intend to do a complete tune up. Will also add another can of ER. I might put it in the AW4 too... kinda scared to place it in the AW4 after my last one went out on me. Dont need another transmission crapping out. Cant afford it. I was thinking about using the Castrol trans fluid too. Any thoughts?

Also why exactly does the AW4 hate to be mated to anything other then the 4.0? Ive seen in posts that it doesnt wor very well with other engine swaps.

thanks

pcsutton said:
Did a job re-decking a couple of semi-truck trailers. I had to drill hundreds of pilot holes for metal screws to hold the deck planks down. Burned up lots of drill bits...until a buddy gave me a bit of ER. Dipped the bit in ER and got 10 times the life from a bit!! No kidding...the stuff virtualy STOPS FRICTION!

I also watched a guy 'treat' his old beater 67 chevy pick-up engine with ER...then to prove a point...drained out ALL the oil and drove a round trip of about 35 miles. I'm sold.

The QA in me makes me do this....it can't have stopped friction cause then the drill bit wouldn't have drilled...considering that it uses friction to accomplish the job.

Experience tells me that you can run a good long time in any vehicle with no oil even without treating them. The actual test is to tear the motor apart and check it for wear.

Sarge

LUCKY YOU !! I would love to do be able to clean out my TB. I live in a community that I can't even change my oil. When I do any work on the XJ I have to go to my bro's house.

That's definitely a laugh though!!

Back