• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Link to pics of MJ bed trailer project

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I just installed a new custom axle in my 7' MJ bed trailer and thought I would post up some pics for your enjoyment. I added one full length leaf to the pack, shifted the new axle back 1", made spring mount pads that sit TIGHT to the top of the new 3" axle tube and mounted the axle spring over. It sure did come out TALL! For the axle, I had my son make some spindle mounting adapters in high school shop class where a D44 front spindle will mount to one side and the axle tube will be welded in the other side. I cut the tube to give me a wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface of 60.5" to closely match the Jeep...which runs D44's front and rear in the six bolt flavor. All I can say is that is a TALL trailer! Jeff :jester:

http://photomail.photoworks.com/sharing/album.asp?Key=1~FQQ4aBru.cIcAKjOyHwUkUtyZq5AmB1d

Now that's a Jeep and a half ! Nice job, its got a better lift than my XJ, you don't see a lot of truck bed style trailer on the road anymore,I like them, you can pile stuff in an it don't fall out the sides like the trailers with angle iron railings.

Hey Jeff,

Ever thought of slapping the rest of the GM brake hardware on there? I bet you that a boat trailer brake master cylinder will actuate those chev calipers like a champ!

Hey Joe, as I mentioned, it is a 7' bed which is the long bed. I tell you though, you can't even fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in this thing though. It's less than 4' betweent the wheel wells. I've used it for hauling garbage, some landscaping blocks, concrete, crushed stone, my snowmobile, and for the set of swampers and camping gear this past weekend. It works well. The new axle worked like a champ too. Yeah, I did think of putting the calipers on there, but it seemed like a tough thing to get working in conjunction with the truck brakes or even manually with some sort of control. I think I'll pass for now. Jeff

I've wanted to make up a Commanche trailer too. I have a Bed Cap that I used on an MJ I had for a while that I'd like to use with it to secure items in the trailer as well as for camping. An idea I had was to mount a frame on the front to mount a propane tank for a small grill and a battery for lights.

Thanks for posting pics of your trailer and axle set up. This will really help me out. Very nice work!

Les

Back