• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Noises in Full-Time 4WD

Ocelot

NAXJA Forum User
In full time 4WD whenever accelerating or turning, groaning and "Clakety-Clakety-Clakety" noises come from somewhere up front. Any idea what this might be? I'm pretty sure its one of the front 4WD components, but I have no clue when it comes to troubleshooting this. I did a search but I dont think anything I found matches my problem.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like the front axle outer U-joints. Check the Dexron fluid in your tranfer, not much oil in there a leak, will empty it out quick. Tranfer gets noisey when the oil gets low.

Thanks for the replies...

I am sure it is in full-time, though when I did lend it to my sister she ran it in part-time on dry pavement for a bit.

I will check the tc fluid, how do I check the u-joints?

Thnx Again!

Turn the wheel to the side, with a flashlight, look real close at the rubber gasket on the U joint end caps. You can stick a pry bar (or screw driver) through the yoke and pry the axle shaft, a little one way and the other. If you can see the bearings at the ends of the U joint move in the cup/gasket, ther is too much play. There is often a ring of rust dust around the bearing cap gasket, when they are bad or going bad. Any play of the cross bearing shaft, in the bearing cup and they will start to completely fail fast.
Another methode is to jack the tire off of the ground, turn the steering wheel to lock (usually right when checking the right side and left on the other side). Turn the tire, you can hear the grinding sound of a dry U-joint and often see the play at the bearing cap. Block a tire and don´t stick any body parts under a tire.
Even if this isn´t your problem, an inspection couple of times a year, may save trouble, when your on the road.

Back