• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which AW-4 to rebuild?

dialogue

NAXJA Forum User
I am moving a bunch of upgraded parts from my 87 to my new (to me) 92 XJ. The 92 AW-4 has 194,000 miles on the odometer. I don't know if the trans has been rebuilt. The 87 has a 88 AW-4 with 69,000 miles on the trans I bought from a salvage yard. Not counting the spline count, which would be the better trans to rebuild? Were all AW-4s about the same or did they make "improvements" in the later trans.
Thanks
Mike

I'm no expert, but I think there may have been a change in the AW4s. Is your 92 H.O. or Renix, cause I think by 92 (it might be just H.O or both the Renix and H.O for 92) they got rid of the power/comfort button that controled the shift points of the transmission. I do know for sure that the power/comfort button was still on in 90, but I'm not sure about after that, even then it might only be an electronic difference, and the AW4s might be mechanically the same.

Back