• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 5.0 engine swap?

Blair Williams

NAXJA Forum User
All the engine swaps i've seen usually involve a small block chevy drivetrain, and considering there is one sitting in my backyard, I was wondering about the feasibility of swapping in a ford 5.0 into my '85 XJ. There are several issues that I think would need to be tackled and i dont know if any of you know if its possible to solve them.

1. engine size. in '85 the engine compartment was shorter than in later years, so it might not fit without substantial radiator movement.

2. 4x4. is it possible to find a tranny with a transfer case on it that will allow 4 wheel drive? since this engine was primarily used on mustangs i dont know if thats possible. does anyone know if this is a possibility.

these problems aside, is there anything else holding me back from swapping in a full 5.0 drive train, assuming i found a donor vehicle for the tranny/transfer case?

2. 4x4. is it possible to find a tranny with a transfer case on it that will allow 4 wheel drive? since this engine was primarily used on mustangs i dont know if thats possible. does anyone know if this is a possibility.

this is definitely a possibility. my roomate has a fullsize bronco with a mustang 5.0 in it. i'm afraid i can't help much past that though.

Back