• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HO swap

Slip Kid

That'll buff right out
Wrecked 93, happy 87 ***HO swap ?s***

Hello. I have a wrecked 93 in my garage, with a 4.0, aw4, 242, and I want to swap the whole set into my 87 that currently has 4.0, aw4, 242. I have a few questions.

I'd like to pull engine,tranny,tc togather as a unit, is that possible?
I want to have all the HO computers and such, how much of the wire harness is going to need to be swapped, and does anyone know a good writeup on this?
Also, the 93 motor has about 199,000 miles on it, but it had way more power than mine before the jeep was wrecked so it's worth the swap right?

any suggestions are appreciated. :peace:

Last edited:
Re: Wrecked 93, happy 87 ***HO swap ?s***

You can pull an entier engine/tranny/t-case in one piece, pulling the header panel makes it much easier but it is possible with just the hood removed (how I did it)

Because it's there and it's free

Rescue35 said:
Why? Other than its what you have on hand.

For the same amount of effort you could go V8.

You're kidding.....right?

4.0L to 4.0L, all the mounts are the same, linkage is the same, and exhaust is the same.

:rolleyes:

Slip Kid said:
Hello. I have a wrecked 93 in my garage, with a 4.0, aw4, 242, and I want to swap the whole set into my 87 that currently has 4.0, aw4, 242. I have a few questions.

I want to have all the HO computers and such, how much of the wire harness is going to need to be swapped, and does anyone know a good writeup on this?
Also, the 93 motor has about 199,000 miles on it, but it had way more power than mine before the jeep was wrecked so it's worth the swap right?

The engine computer and trans controller are different, and you'll need to change them, and you'll need the newer wiring harness to go with it. The motor and trans are simple to swap, but the controllers and harness won't be. Still, it should all be labor......you have all of the parts.

I don't know about IL, but in CA you'd have to take it to the referee to get it smogged, and it would require all of the later models parts.

Thanks. Yea I'm expecting the wire harness to be the most difficult part. Does anyone know of a good writeup about wire harness swaps?

Goatman said:
You're kidding.....right?

4.0L to 4.0L, all the mounts are the same, linkage is the same, and exhaust is the same.

:rolleyes:

Yes but those are the "easy" things to deal with. When you start swapping computers, sensors, and reworking wireing, you might as well get more than 10-15 horespower out of the deal. Have you considered swaping your intake onto the newer motor? you wouldnt have rewire things. Also as long as you have it out and with 196,000 miles you should atleast go through the internalls and clean it up.

Just my $.03, not trying to bust your balls. The 4.0 is a great motor, but like everything Jeep there is the "right now" way and the "right" way. Ive done my fair share of right now fixes. It depends on what fits your needs and wants best. Good luck.

Slip Kid said:

I suggest you install the engine, tranny, and TC from the '93 and attach all your '87 ancillaries to them, including your existing Renix computer, wiring harness, and EFI system with sensors. You can use the HO intake and exhaust manifolds since they bolt straight onto the HO head, use the HO TB, and adapt the Renix TPS to the HO TB to make it work. You'll also need to use the higher flowing HO injectors to ensure that the engine's fed enough fuel.

Last edited:
fuel pump?

Does anyone know if it's the same fuel pump for the HO and the non HO? I'd hate to have to switch tanks........

Re: fuel pump?

What is all this business about swapping computers and such? Do what Dr. Dyno says and its an easy swap. The exhaust is not the same and you need to swap fuel lines and a few cables but I think that's easier than trying to swap the wiring and everything. Since you have a donor just yank the engine block and swap the engine.

FULL HO swap

I dont think the swap would be worth it if I don't take all the HO parts, the different computer is part of what makes the HO the HO. I'd like to have the whole thing since I know it runs good as is. I'm looking to do a worthwhile swap, easy is not a main concern. I'd like to avoid having a frankenstien motor, if I wanted that I'd just swap heads and intakes. tedious "swapping" is fine, with the wires an such, I'd just like to avoid adapting parts of different motors togather.

its gotta have been done, the full swap, anyone??:confused:

In order to further allow myself to be flamed, how bad of an idea is it to put the older cooling system on the HO in place of the busted open-system radiator?? :anon:

Last edited:
Re: fuel pump?

Slip Kid said:
Does anyone know if it's the same fuel pump for the HO and the non HO? I'd hate to have to switch tanks........

The fuel pumps are the same.
Don't fit the old closed cooling system onto the HO. With time you'll hate it and wish that you kept the open system. Just invest in a new 2-row Modine radiator (open system of course!).
Since you're determined to use the HO computer, make sure that you swap the wiring harness and all the sensors as well. You'll also need the HO distributor with its own cam position sensor to fire the injectors.
Good luck with the swap. I'm sure you'll find it entertaining!

Slip Kid -

You can certainly do what you want, but I question your logic. You want to avoid a "Frankenstein" motor, so in order to do that you're going to create a Frankenstein vehicle? And then keep the old style cooling system?

This isn't a flame, this is only an opinion. It isn't primarily the ECU that makes the HO a "high output" engine. It's mostly the cam, the head, and the larger throttle body. You can swap all those to your "new" engine without involving yourself in all the headaches of a wiring transplant. Keep in mind that the HO engine does not produce any more torque than the non-HO (well, okay -- one measly foot-pound), and it produces only about 10 more horsepower. But the torque peak for the HO is at a much higher RPM than the non-HO, well above where most people drive. Some people feel (by the seat-of-pants dyno) that the HO puts out more power, but I also know people who have gone from an HO to an older, high mileage non-HO MJ and said "Wow!"

Bottom line is I don't think the gain is worth the hassle of changing all the wiring. Plus with the HO wiring you lose the knock sensor. Please reconsider doing what Dr. Dyno first suggested.

Thanks, I don't really know much about the computers, I've just the new one was faster to adapt to things. Do you know of any writeups about this that are any more in depth than the cherokee america one? I'd like to see pictures of this tps "widget" that is only slightly described in the cherokee america article. there's also not a lot describing the distributor switch that is said to be nessesary.

oh yea is there indeed a hole in the 93 block for the knock sensor? I've heard both ways.

I just swapped in a '96 block into my '89 and that block had the hole for the knock sensor. The '93 should have it too. To adapt the tps I took the throttle body and tps to a machine shop and had them make the tps fit. There really isn't a need for a more in-depth writeup of the swap. That writeup covers basically everything that's needed to be done. For the distributor just replace the distributor assembly with the Renix one. You can even use the same cap.

Cool I can probably figure out the widget.

How about the guages? my 87 has idiot lights and the cable speedo while the 93 has all the guages and of course the new electric speedo. is it possible to only swap that part of the wiring? I'm using the aw4 and 242 that is in the 93 so I'll have the speedo sensor, but about them wires....

oh yea anyone need a cryco rearend or a non-disco hp d30?

The speedo cable goes into the hole on the transfer case where the sender for the electric speedo is on the '93. Forget the electric speedo ... don't make work for yourself.

is there any difference between AW4 flexplates, looking at doing what Dr. Dyno suggest, with a 95 HO into my 90.
before anyone else says it...holy old thread batman ;)

Its a simple swap. I put a 97 block and manifolds in my 87. Just keep all your renix electronics, sensors, and flywheel. I did need to put on a fuel injector rail (from a 95 i think?) because the renix one didnt fit quite right, and used the 97 plugs because they are longer. The main reason for doing the swap as was stated before is because of the small changes that increased the HP..it has nothing to do with the electronics....You wont notice any difference if you change over the electronics anyways so save yourself some unnecessary headaches and just do it the easy way.

Back