• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker vs. Rough Country

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about finally lifting the old Cherokee up. I know I want a 3" lift kit but I'm trying to decide if from Skyjacker or Rough Country. I'll put out my different positions here. The main things I'm wanting out of a lift are bigger tire clearance,a smooth road ride, and have the bottom look cool. I dont't off road so I just want better-than-Jeep ride quality. This is what I figure.....

Skyjacker:
Has cool looking parts-red and white
Claims to have a smooth ride
454.00 or so-not too shabby.

Rough Country
Claims to have good steering and maintain control on and off road.
100 bucks or so cheaper than Skyjacker.

I've heard some bad about Rough Country and no bad about Skyjacker. Right now I'm leaning towards the Skyjacker just because of the ride quality they claim they have. I need some input on this one before I decide.
Jeepguy1990

I have skyjacker springs and control arms up front. It's a nice tight lift (no clanging,wobbling, etc.). As far as ride goes, I'm not sure. Mine rides like a tractor, it has hardly any give in the front. I've been trying to figure out if it's the springs or the Rancho 5000's that make it so stiff. I'm thinking it's more the Rancho's than anything. I would like to try some Doetsch Techs on for size. Anyone have different results with different shocks? Have you given any thought to Rubicon Express? I've only heard good things about their stuff. I have read alot of complaints about Rough Country though.

Last edited:
I've been running the Skyjacker 3" kit for 4 years now. I netted 3.5" in the front and 3" in the rear with the full-length AAL. The control arms ride tight as stated. I have to keep them well greased or they squeak because of the poly. The front springs feel really good once they're broken in, they're a little harsh at first; same with the rear AAL. Throw away the track bar relocation bracket if they still include it and just drill a new hole 3/8" to the right or so. The control arms I have have poly on both ends, don't get the ones with a heim on one end since you don't go off-road. They transmit more road noise and loosen up. Any more questions? I added a slightly longer shackle to the rear to sit at 3.5" all the way around..

I hate doing this, commenting on something I know nothing about - and just repeating what others have said. But, . . . here I go: Have you considered an OME lift? It's my understanding that Ol' Man Emu offers a great ride. Again, this could be SPOBI - so check with someone else who has actually used their lift.

I have the 6.5in lift from Skyjacker and I like it. It doesn't ride like a Caddy, but I hope you don't expect it to. You do need a really good set of shocks though. I have the adjustable Ranch 9000's and they ROCK.

I have a set of RC 4.5 springs on the front now and they are stiff...and I do mean STIFF. They flex pretty good off road with the sway bar disconnected, and they handle great on the road. But they dont give much. But then again...it rides like a JEEP. :farmer:

I have a Rubicon Xtreme duty kit ready to go on ASAP. It is supposed to ride better...but we will see :conceited

Stick said:
I have a set of RC 4.5 springs on the front now and they are stiff...and I do mean STIFF. They flex pretty good off road with the sway bar disconnected, and they handle great on the road. But they dont give much. But then again...it rides like a JEEP. :farmer:

I have a Rubicon Xtreme duty kit ready to go on ASAP. It is supposed to ride better...but we will see :conceited

your right about the stiffness. I have the same ones on mine and they are rough.

jeepguy1990 said:
...I dont't off road so I just want better-than-Jeep ride quality...

Any 3" or taller lift is going to ride worse than your stock height Jeep. Soft springs and shocks might help, but when you change the angle of the control arms, you will stiffen up the front end. The only way around this is to go higher and run drop brackets or long arms. In other words, a complete redesign of the suspension links.

I have read many accounts of OME that claim the ride is excellent. This is mainly because OME lifts were kept to 2". Go any higher and you will bring the control arm angles into play and the ride will suffer.

If you want BETTER than OEM ride, you can skip Rough Country, Skyjacker, Rusty's, Rubicon Express, and all the others To get better than stock, you need OME (Old Man Emu). Their basic XJ lift is 2" but they have a heavy duty option that's around 3". Discuss it with an OME dealer.

Anything is better than Rough Country! I HAD their 4.5" lift, thinking I was going to save some dough, I have since trippled the original cost of the kit replacing components, one by one. I would go with the RE kit, I have replaced most of my RC kit with their stuff, along with Teraflex, JKS, Currie, Bilstien.............

My original lift was a 3" RC kit...The front springs were WAY stiff....I always figured it was because of my 2.5 being a lightweight engine....the one good benefit was the kit tightened up the cornering ability...I eventually upgraded one part at a time as stuff wore or broke (I run the livin stew outta my junk). One thing I didn't like was there were no swaybar links or bumpstops, or extended brake lines...I quickly bent up my OEM links and learned the need for enough bumpstop.

If you plan on lifting solely for the bling factor...don't lift it much...I don't know anyone that would say lifting theirs made it ride smoother in a comfy couch kinda way....with too much lift and too much spring rate with otherwise stock front suspension, any small sharp irregularity in the road will be harsh...Oh yeah...don't forget to have the front end aligned afterwards.

if you want smooth, go with a Rubicon Express 3.5 super ride with full rear springs. It will net you over 4" and maybe 5"!

I have the 3.5 superflex, I think it rides just a little better than stock on road. I have the OME shocks. Got it all from Dirk at DPGoffroad.com and he is WAY cheaper than anyone else had it at!!

I also got the hack and tap and CV.

Jason

logdog said:
Anything is better than Rough Country! I HAD their 4.5" lift, thinking I was going to save some dough, I have since trippled the original cost of the kit replacing components, one by one. I would go with the RE kit, I have replaced most of my RC kit with their stuff, along with Teraflex, JKS, Currie, Bilstien.............

Amen to that. I've replaced all of my Junk ****ry with Dakota rear springs. I did use the 3" coils,but purchased 2" spacers and it works fine. Saved money this way. I also have DT3000 shocks. I'm setting at 4.5". Believe me...Dakota springs used in conjunction with your stock springs...They won't sag.

Dakota spring pack from junkyard=$50.00 (used)
2" coil spring spacers=$30.00 (new)
DT3000 Shocks=$ 125.00 (new)
YJ front brakelines=$30.00 (used)
Dakota rear brakeline=$20.00 (new)
1" transfer drop kit=$20.00 (new)
Quiker disconnects=$50.00 (Made by Eric Dipple)
Rusty's adjustable Trac Bar=$70.00 (used)
31x10.50 BFG A/T's=$400.00 (new)
15x8 Black Daytona Rims=$110.00 (new)

You don't have to spend a lot of money. I have put this XJ to the test. It's just as good as all of those high $ lifts.

fire325 said:
Amen to that. I've replaced all of my Junk ****ry with Dakota rear springs. I did use the 3" coils,but purchased 2" spacers and it works fine. Saved money this way. I also have DT3000 shocks. I'm setting at 4.5". Believe me...Dakota springs used in conjunction with your stock springs...They won't sag.

You don't have to spend a lot of money. I have put this XJ to the test. It's just as good as all of those high $ lifts.

I'll triple what they have said. RC is total shit. I have replaced everything I purchased from them when I originally lifted the jeep. $100 is nothing compared to the hours of labor and frustration dealing with RC parts and tech department. I learned the hard way so YOU DONT HAVE TO! :soapbox:

A buddy of mine has the rough country 2 or 3" lift and he was getting major death wobble so he had something else done to it to eliminate the death wobble for like $300 bucks.

My .02 cents

Northern Pride said:
A buddy of mine has the rough country 2 or 3" lift and he was getting major death wobble so he had something else done to it to eliminate the death wobble for like $300 bucks.

My .02 cents

He probably had to buy a real lift kit! :flamemad:

Get on Jeepsunlimited.com and search for Rough Country. You'll get an ear-full.

I'd get the OME setup, and later ifn you want more height budge boost. But for now I'd get the OME springs and shocks. I ran that setup first (before I went nuts) and it was super super sweet. Even if you don't go for their springs, I'd still consider their shocks. If you aren't wheeling it you won't need discos, although you'll still need longer links (most any weld shop could lengthen the ones you have in minutes and cheap). If you go this route I'd recommend taling to Dirk at DPGoffroad.com. Really nice guy, great OME and JKS prices.

Hey so how sweet does OME ride? I realize a Cherokee cant be a Cadillac but is shock reflex quick and load distribution good? Like I said I dont need any lift really I just want a good, smooth ride quality. And no I'm not getting a Cadillac. I just wonder if for 400 bucks less if that skyjacker would be at all comparable.

fire325 said:

what about the LCAs ?Ive got the 3 inch RC springs and thinking about putting my old 1.75 spacers back in but im running stock LCAs . just wonderedwhat yuo were were running?

Back