• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep stock 8.25 axle or upgrade to Dana 44????

ZMfx

NAXJA Forum User
I'm still using my stock 8.25 axle on my 97' XJ. I'm running 32x11.50's with about 5" of lift. the plan is to get some bushwackers, a few more inches of lift, and run 35's some time the future.
I found a 89 xj dana 44 rear axle for sale for around $350, should buy it? Its a couple hrs drive from where i live, but it sounds like a good deal. what do you guys think? I know the 44 is something like 40% stronger than the stock Dana 35c axle, but how much better is it than the 8.25?

As a side note will a Dana 44 front axle off a new Wrangler rubicon fit a XJ? if not wheres a good place to find a beefer front axle.. that little Dana 30 that's stock looks way to wimpy to be under any jeep that i own!

The Rubicon front axle is a bolt-in for the XJ, but it's not all that much of an upgrade. The center section and gears are larger, but the knuckles, shafts, hubs and everything outboard of the actual diff are the same as the later model Dana 30s. And the Rubicon D44 is low pinion.

I say keep the 8.25 especially w/32s, ive ran my detroit locked 8.25 with 37" swampers for about 6 months now and no problems what so ever, and yes I wheel the piss out of it

BIG98XJ said:
I say keep the 8.25 especially w/32s, ive ran my detroit locked 8.25 with 37" swampers for about 6 months now and no problems what so ever, and yes I wheel the piss out of it

The 8.25 is pretty strong but if you have a good deal someplace near buy, consider the following (when you get the 44):
1. you get rid of c-clips
2. less of a lip on a pumpkin
3. you can get bigger drums (Yeah yeah yeah.. I know disks.... but those are plenty more $$ While the bigger drums do make a difference: I can feel it).
4. you can probably sell your axle later if for nothing more then for spare axles and parts to people that have the 8.25 or those wanting to upgrade.

ok, i did a little homework and came up with some numbers..

In in the 97" production year the 8.25 axle was upgraded from 27 spline to 29 spline. In comparison, the Dana 44 is 30 spline. The Pinion in the 8.25 are 27 spline, while the Dana 44 is only 26.. and not only that, the pinion shafts are smaller! wow the only advantage i can see is the larger brake drums and the slightly larger ring diameter. sounds like i'm gonna stick with my stock axle and use the cash for the next project.
If anyone lives near georga and needs a Dana 44, check out this site on Ebay.. bidding ends in the tomarrow night.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7905010575&category=33728

(8.25 axle)
Number of cover bolts: 10
Number of axle splines: 29
Diameter of ring gear: 8.25"
Number of ring gear bolts: 10
Pinion Shaft Diameter: 1.625"
Pinion Splines : 27
Low Case Ratio :

(Dana 44)
Number of cover bolts: 10
Number of axle splines: 30
Diameter of ring gear: 8.5"
Number of ring gear bolts: 10
Pinion Shaft Diameter: 1.375"
Pinion Splines : 26
Low Case Ratio : 3.92

Something I haven't seen anyone say yet as a downside to the 8.25 is it can only be geared to 4.56 and can at times make noise. Although I decided to go 8.25 over the D44. Mainly due to price and if I'm gonna need to get an axle for bigger tires I'd probably go 9" instead of D44 or 8.8.

- Kevin

another option boys is the rodeo 95-98 dana 44, has discs brakes like the grand cherokoee 44, beefy tubes, around 60" wide and fits real nice, comes stock with 4:10 gears, I got mine for 300.00 out da door

picture.JPG

xjnation said:
another option boys is the rodeo 95-98 dana 44, has discs brakes like the grand cherokoee 44, beefy tubes, around 60" wide and fits real nice, comes stock with 4:10 gears, I got mine for 300.00 out da door

picture.JPG

but it's got an extra lug :D

I dont know wtf is with this site, but sometimes I can edit my posts, and other times I can't. The botton just isn't there?

Anyway, I thought you ment you found an '89 XJ with a dana 44 and it was 350 for the entire XJ & axel. IMO, $350 isn't that great of a deal.

Edit: see, I can edit this post, but I cant edit the one I made above? Why? There is edit tab.

Strange!!

IIRC one of the axle companies did some testing to determine a numerical difference between the axles - the D44, ChryCo 8.25 and D35 rears being the focus.

While there was an overall strength difference between the D35 and others that was notable, the difference *overall* between the 8.25 and D44 was close to 4% - meaning the D44 was only 4% stronger.

Since I'm pulling this crap from my dusty brain, I have zero recollection of the tests performed. It stuck with me as I have the 8.25/27 spline unit and wanted to know if this should concern me (back when I was young and hadn't learned to, as my mechanic puts it, "Just drive the f()ckin' thing!"

I now know it's no biggie. Having 31's also helps as I have a wimpy set-up and drive like a grandmother off-road. I'm well within the comfort limits of this rear end and will eventually get up to 33" tires. (Damn gearing costs...)

Anyhoo - FWIW, skip the D44 and put the money elsewhere. How are you for armor...?

Since you're not asking about the the 8.8, which also has c-clips, I'd say go with the 8.25 and carry a spare.

I notice nobody ever mentions the chrysler 9.25 that goes under the big dodge trucks. They have to be pretty plentiful out there and from my limited experience the 8.25 and 9.25 are so darn easy to work on.. is there a reason for this ?? the 9 is just a bigger version of the 8, uses the same screw in shims the 8 uses.

Back