• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pressure bottle/89- crack

Ed in North Ga.

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my second pressure bottle from jeepdoc- the first was bad quality, but a good price. Second was better....much better.

I had an idea- has anyone ever sleeved the lower output of the tank? The input is already sleeved with a metal insert, and as all us pressure tank users know, they always break at the bottom first, an it usually starts right around the output an expands from there. If one were to sleeve the output, I think it would hold much better/longer.

anyone ever try it, or am I designated guneia pig?

I had luck with mine by padding it; put a piece of radiator hose on the metal shelf it sits on

I cracked two. I looked up one day and saw the imprint of the pressure bottle in the hood liner. Think I´m gonna lower the bracket before I buy another one. Most of my cracks, have been on or near the top.
As a sidebar, I´m guessing the bottle is nylon, rayon or some kind of on. What kind of glue might hold? I´ve tried more than a few (few held for long), have had some luck, with Plumbers GOOP.

With my original '88XJ Limited and 353000 miles, I've gone through a lot of those bottles ('now I have two 88XJ Limiteds and a 91"plain jane") . . . mine have always failed on the bottom and not necessarily at the outlet but, more typically at a seam. It really doesn't seem like it would matter much (because the plastic is not rubbing-through) but, I have cut and placed a piece of carpet between the shelf and the bottle and I REALLY do believe that extends the life of the bottle by absorbing vibration . . . . or ????? Don

Hey Ed, whur yat? I grew up in Toccoa.....
I changed my 90 xj over to an open system the easy way. Go to a junkyard and find a fairly late model Mopar sedan. They have a pressure bottle in roughly the same place as your Jeep. It is bolted to the fender and is shaped differently than the Jeep but it is definitely small enough to fit.
They are HEAVY plastic and have an honest-to-god radiator cap and overflow hose on them.
Remove the jeep bottle and the bracket that it is mounted on, drill two holes for the mounting screws that will hold the new bottle in place and plumb it in.
Piece of cake !!

Another solution is to bite the bullet and install an open radiator system. That's what I did to my 89. All it takes is a newer style radiator ($120), aftermarket fan thermostatic switch ($20), and aftermarket overflow bottle ($10). I also used an adaptor to connect the bottle/heater hoses so as to retain the original heater control valve. It works great, and is a permanent solution to the "belch bottle blues". :cool:

Back