• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

poor engine performance issues?

xj2k

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a 2001 engine with 5,000 miles last month. The engine hasn't had any major problems but I am positive the power is lacking compared to the old engine. The fuel consumption has gone way up too. The old engine was a 2000 with 75,000 miles. I have checked all the sensors, replaced spark plugs, tested all injectors, cleaned the tb, compression is fine. I did swap out the crank sensor from the old motor to the new motor. I'm not sure if I set it correctly. I'm talking about the sensor that goes in the hole where the distributor would normally go that drives the oil pump. The manual says something about using a scan tool to sync the fuel and spark to the sensor. Does anyone know anything about this?

I appreciate all the help I can get, I'm leaving next weekend for a cross country trip and would like to get this sorted out if possible.

Thanks very much,
Mark

if you have removed the distributor you need to have it timed properly. it is worth it to have the dealer repair this for about 1 hour of labor.(depending on the dealer), just tell them what you have done and what you would likre them to do. especially if that is the only difference in the 2 motors . no other adjustments have been changed.

ok, I have no knowledge of how this system works. I have read what is in the repair manual and basically it says that if you pull it out, don't move the crank, and drop it back it your all set. Since I pulled the sensor from one motor and placed it in a different motor I have no clue if the sensor is in the correct position.

Jneary, is there any way for a home mechanic to adjust this? What tools are needed. I'd rather spend $100 on the tool to fix it myself than $50 for the dealer to do it. I have no idea what's involved with this process but you seem to be a well qualified mechanic very familiar with the newer electronics in jeeps. What is your opinion on this matter. I am almost positive this is the reason for the difference in performance. How much should a jeep dealer charge to fix this issue?

You can't buy a scan tool for anywhere near 100 clams. Since you don't know if the cranks on the two engines were in the same position (chances of this happening are less than your chance of being clobbered by Neptune falling into your swimming pool), it's safe to assume that your cam position sensor is not properly aligned and synched. Pay the dealer to get it right. You're lucky it runs at all.

if you line the timing mark up on #1 which is the second notch from the bottom on the timing cover scale, then remove the cam sensor. you should be able to put a small straw (like the ones that come on a can of crc) into the little accass hole in the dist housing all the way through the hole in pick up reluctor in the inside. i hope that makes sense, i still needs to be synched.i'm not aware if a generic scan tool can give you the readings you need. but for the cost of the scan tool, the dealer should do it for you

ok, I brought the jeep to the dealer and had them fix the cam sensor issue. It cost me 60 bucks because that's what the dealer charges and they don't believe in 1/2 hour charges (n) . Either way, they found the sensor was off -7 degrees. The jeep runs great now and the gas mileage is back to normal. Thanks for all the help guys. It was worth the money!

Back