• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differential Fluid Change with Extraction Pump

BudTX

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to change the diff fluids in my XJ and my wife's ZJ this weekend. I am familiar with the "pull and clean the cover and RTV" drill, but was wondering if anyone here has ever tried using a manual extractor pump to pull the fluid out through the filler hole, leaving the cover in place. It probably won't drain every drop of fluid, but I'm looking to save a little weekend time for something other than stinky fluid changes.

Thanks in advance.

Bud

BudTX said:
It probably won't drain every drop of fluid, but I'm looking to save a little weekend time for something other than stinky fluid changes.
While they do work, how often do you change your diff fluid? Wehtehr the vehicle is offroaded or not, I like to be able to see what's inside to make sure all's good and pulling the cover of and cleaning it and reapplying should not add more then 15~20 minutes per cover (tops!).

if your just going to extract the fluid that way i would recommend replacing it with synthetic fluis. thats what we do at the dealership, but if the diff covers are leaking then you might as well remove the covers.if you do the best sealant is the gray rtv the manufacturer recommends.

Back