• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake fluid color

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
After a weekend of wheeling I noticed my brake fluid changed drastically in color. I have replaced most all major brake system componets with new parts. I use Valvoline synthetic brake fluid which is nearly clear. The last new part was a new master cylinder accompained by a full system fluid change. After this weekend the fluid had turned a red-ish amber color much like maple syrup. What could have caused the fluid to change color that quickly? Should I just flush the system again, or check for possible problems? Thanks.

--Matt

Did the brake fluid you use, have the same DOT number, as what is recommened on the top of the resivoir? My 95 specifies DOT 3. The color you´re getting might be residue from the previous fill, DOT 3 is pretty corrosive and acidic, turns pretty dark after awhile. Mixing DOT 3 and 4 or 5, can have some odd side affects and cause problems with O rings and seals.
Never have noticed the color of the fluid (years, after it has turned dark) to have much affect on braking. But it will pick up a lot of impurities, possibly abrasive (ferrous oxide).

Valvoline SynPower synthetic brake fluid is rated DOT 3 & 4 compatable. The system has been flushed with this stuff 3 times so there should be no old fluid in there.

I guess I'll try another fluid change and see what happens.

--Matt

I bet someone was a bit pissed when you gave them their vanilla shake :)

--Matt

Back