• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper coil retainers?

csudman

NAXJA Forum User
Whos made somthing and what did you do? I'm just working on getting my suspension balanced better and I'm trying to decide between limiting straps and upper coil retainers.
The thing I'm worried about with the retainers is that It seems like their would come a point at which the coil would want to take weight off of the tire, loosing traction. Now I realize that a similar thing would happen with a limiting strap, but there it will happen at a set height. The retainer would progressively take weight off the tire. I think that makes scence and I think I answered my own question. But I want some opinions.

Completele off the subject. But I just got a waggy 44 front so I'm gonna be building soon. I was gonna do tons. But I'm just poor white trash.

We had a thread on this about 6 months ago....can't find it right now, but the consesnsus was that using both an upper coil retainer AND a limit strap would be the best of all worlds.

CRASH

Ok, whats an upper coil retainer? A dumb question, but I wanna know.

-Mike

CRASH said:
We had a thread on this about 6 months ago....can't find it right now, but the consesnsus was that using both an upper coil retainer AND a limit strap would be the best of all worlds.

CRASH

Big Jeep 101 said:
Ok, whats an upper coil retainer? A dumb question, but I wanna know.

-Mike

that little clip securing the coil to the coil bucket.

Dirk Pitt said:
that little clip securing the coil to the coil bucket.

No, that's the LOWER coil retainer.

Jeeps don't come with an upper retainer, it needs to be fabbed.

CRASH

Ok, I tried to find that thread. I remembered it. But, has anyone done it? I dont have my jeep in front of me. But I can't seem to figure out how I could fab somthing to our stupid upper coil mounts, without completely replacing them.

Are you guys retaining your coils at the bottom as well? Are you doing this to put the spring in tension or just keep it from falling out? Thanks

Ary

Combination of the two. Right know, I can flex enough to simply take the coil out with my hand. It's just to much. And I think It will make my suspenion more balanced.

CRASH said:
No, that's the LOWER coil retainer.

Jeeps don't come with an upper retainer, it needs to be fabbed.

CRASH

right, just using that as an example.

Back