• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

misfire problem

jeepster1985

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched but found nothing specific. 96 xj 4.0 I noticed a slight miss that is gradually getting worse. The check engine light finally came on and I peerformed the on off... method. It showed 43 twice. it doesn't miss all the time but is becoming more frequent please help.

How many miles on the distridutor ? The shaft bushings wear allowing the shaft to wobble,this upsets the cam position sensor which is needed along with the Crank position sensor to set the fuel delivery and timing all done with the ECU.
Can you hear or feel a tick/knock in the distributor,the rotor is hitting the cap contacts,time to replace the dist,
Rebuilt from Jeep Dlr was $136,included new cap ,rotor .
Wayne

Its probably the original distributor...125k I had a problem with the rotor hitting the leads once before and it went away and i forgot about it. would the dist cause the misfire. thats the code 43

Back