• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying a Wagoneer

87Wagoneer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm probably going to buy an 87 Wagoneer limited for around 1800. The only things to my knowledge that are wrong with it are (1) tiny exhaust leak. (2) short in the pasenger window switch (3) and faulty wiring to the driver's seat.
Other than that, it's in fantastic condition. it is rust free, with many new parts, tow package, 140,000 miles. From what i've seen this jeep could go for more than 2000. But i don't really know since i'm fairly new to jeeps, so is 1800 a good deal?

Last edited:
That's low mileage for an '87. If it is rust free and clean, it sounds like a great deal. BTW -- an '87 Waggy with a tow package is a prime candidate for having the optional Dana 44 rear axle.

Sounds Great, One of my xj's is an 87 wagoneer limited 4x4 only routine maint. so far and no known probs check it out, might be an outstanding purchace. Good luck!

It's a good deal, but there's a better one. it's a 1990 cherokee laredo. 109k miles!! 5 speed, 4.0 PERFECT interior. Runs like a top. new exhaust new tires. $1000. Yes body is pretty rusty, but im confident that the I can fix the rust, especially for $1000.

If it were me, I'd opt for the '87 Waggy.

First, the milage issue isn't much of an issue for me. 140 on a 17 year old truck is 8235 miles a year while 109 on a 14 year old truck is 7785 miles a year...not that big of difference.

Second, I think the Waggy is classy looking. There aren't that many left with the wood on the trail or on the road. Go unique.

Third, if that Waggy has the Dana 44 rear, you are ahead of the game.

Fourth, I'd rather fix a few shorts than extensive rust.

Personal preference, but $800 more is worth it to me.

By the way, where in DSM are you? I went to school at AIB at Fluer and Bell. I was there from 93-95. My best friend is in Urbandale, and works for the state, downtown just east of the river. We grew up on the other side of the state, in Lisbon.

Thats a tough decision. Rust is nasty. I would rather deal with the electrical problems and get the luxury. This comment is very personal but is based on having a 90 purchased new and recently getting a 92 with body damage.

I would also check for the D44 option which is worth a lot. both really have low miliage that woudl not be a factor for me.

I would use the 90 as a bargining tool for the 87.

Back