• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wet sand spray paint?

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Allright, I just finished my rear fender and quarter panel trimming. I cut for tj flares so I cut the seem off, cut slits in the wheel went and re-welded them, I also cut about three inches off of the quarter panel. In the process I warped the sheetmetal and burnt a lot of paint, so I sanded the rear down to bair metal applied filler and primer, blah blah blah. I sprayed it with dupli-color automtive paint and now it looks good exept it looks like an orange peel. Can I wet sand it or is that the price I pay for using a rattle can? This is my first time doing any body work, so I'm learning as I go, any help is appreciated.

Technically I see no reason you couldn't wet sand it, but... Spray paint goes on super thin compared to regular paint from a gun. I think if you tried to wet sand it you would quickly sand right through it. Rattly can painting never turns out as good as painting from a gun. It works well for some applications. There is just no way they can supply the amount of air needed to spray thick paint in a can, so they must thin it a lot. Though you could try it and see what happens. Worst case is you'll need another top coat. You may also want to consider spraying a few coats of clear on and then wet sand and buff.

HTH,
B-loose

You might want to resand, wipe it all down with some metal prep, do your filler then spray with a self etching primer. Wet sand again and do your final filling, prime and paint. Try to stay with the same brand of primer and paint, mix and match can be incompatable.

if orange peel is that big of a prob. you should take it to a paint shop, or find a buddy with a spray gun...
if you do try to color sand, make sure you have four or more coats of clear to work with, and be sure to let it dry completely, with rattle cans, at least three days, maybe more drying time is needed...

Yes, you can wet sand it. I've seen rattle can hjobs end up looking professional, just take your time and act like it's not from a can.

Back