• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater hose to metal "T", cut or repair?

Ed in North Ga.

NAXJA Forum User
I`m in the middle of replaceing the age old upper/lower rad hose`s, and the heater hose- the ones connected to the metal T`s that hold the heater control valve/ forward of the firewall, an to the pressure bottle(1989 system). The bottle gave in yesterday, an has been bypassed untill the replacement arrives. The original water pump will be replaced an retired to the parts shelf.

Instead of cutting off hose and fitting an inline repair section to new hose after the metal pipe, is it acceptable to just cut off the old hose from the metal pipe? Their the pressure fit/metal band connects(like hydro fittings). The hose is fine, but I figure 200,000+ is enough.
Reconnect with common pressure clamps over the metal?

Ive never bothered to ask this, an the search is kinda flakey on the subject.

Thanks- in advance, of course. :)
Ed->

That's what I'm doing on my 88 MJ. I am having a problem getting it all to fit correctly. The problem is that the top hose to firewall connector is a 3/4" hose as is the hose connection on the plastic bottle. I had a curved 5/8" hose for the bottle to metal "T", but none of the tricks I know for getting tight hose to fit worked. With the air conditioning it's pretty tough to get that straight 3/4" hose to fit in there. Contemplating calling the dealer, but the dealers here think that all jeep parts are platinum plated.

Fred

Ed in North Ga. said:
Instead of cutting off hose and fitting an inline repair section to new hose after the metal pipe, is it acceptable to just cut off the old hose from the metal pipe? Their the pressure fit/metal band connects(like hydro fittings). The hose is fine, but I figure 200,000+ is enough.
Reconnect with common pressure clamps over the metal?
Yes, what you propose will work. However, there is a caveat: The old metal fitting is probably fatigued enough after 200,000 miles that it may well blow a month after you replace everything. I strongly recommend that you replace it.

mucho thanks guys-

Fred, Napa carries the hose you need-precurved, presized on both ends, and pre-expensive. Isnt it nice to have a hose with two sizes? Thanks again Jeep.

Eagle, correct as always- the last one I had went to the magic 300,000 with nary a split pipe- I`m tempted to see if this one makes the trip without splitting....tempting.....however, I havent ever priced it, might be worth it just for looks.

Hopefully the new tank will arrive today, an the carnage can begin.

If you got a small grinder,you can cut the pressure fittings off and just use a regular hose clamp.

The Napa website didn't convince that they had the correct hose, so I bit the bullet and went to the dealer. Miracles of miracles!! They actually sell the prebent and sized rubber only hoses to attach to the original metal parts. The reservoir to T hose was $12 at the stealer here, so the rest of the country should be able to buy it for less than $9.

I guess Chrysler is convinced that the metal parts can be reused.

Fred

Back