• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn Rock Rails

csuxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be purchasing some rock rails in the next couple of days and I'm having a surprisingly difficult time getting any info on the warn "rock sliders."

Anyone have any advice or information for me about these? Even the Warn website is low on info.

I did try a search, but didn't have much luck.

Thanks for the help

Dan

Well, I did more research on the Warn sliders and I still don't have much info. What I did find out was that they mount to the pinch seam in four places, as well as to the subframe. I don't know how many mounts there are to the subframe, but hopefully I actually get to talk to someone at Warn tomorrow and figure that out for sure.

So can it really be that no one has any expereince with these sliders? I think I might order them tomorrow, unless someone can talk me out of it.

I'll take some pics of 'em and get a little write-up done after the install.

Dan

I am convinced that any rock crawling at all will mangle most any aftermarket rails. My Custom4x4 rails bolted up the pinch seam and to the "frame" yet still my rockers got pushed in and my pinch seam looked pretty wavy. The only way to go is the URF(tm) rocker replacement with 2x6 tube steel tied into the frame rails plated with 3x3x.25 angle.

I believe the WARN rails also bolt into the floor in a couple places.

If you get any more info please post - I'm looking at these as well.

r@m

The current issue of JP magazine shows the warn rock rail install and gives lots of info on them. I lost my issue, otherwise I would summarize for you.

XJZ said:
There are a lot of them out there.

Have you checked on some of the more popular brands?

I have definately checked out some other brands too. I like the look of the warn ones better than some of the other options, but I'm a little concerned about their durability, since they are so new and untested. If I don't get the warn ones I'll probably go woth RRO. The warn ones will actually only be 30 bucks more, when it's all said and done.

Actually, the fact that the warn sliders are a new product by a well established company is justing adding to their appeal, considering not many people have 'em (even on NAXJA!)

I called warn today and they are emailing me the instructions so that I can have a better idea what these look like and how they mount.

I'll go check out that mag too (thanks braden) and post what i find.

Dan

Based on the pictures and write up from the article titled "Unitbody attachment: front, rear and side protection done right" in JP magazine's july issue, it looks like the sliders mount to the pinch seam in four places, and to the subframe and the floor in three places as well.

The mounts to the subframe aren't that hot... they don't have an L or U shape that would hug up against the subframe. They bolt on from one side only, with only one bolt per mounting location. There are three locations though, and in addition to the subframe attatchment, there is one beefy bolt that mounts verticlly into the floor at the same three subframe locations. It looks like 2 bolts per mounting location at the pinch seam, making 8 total into the pinch seam per side, and 14 attatchment bolts per slider.

I'm still a little shaky about a few things, inclduing the subframe attatchments, but they seem to be designed to adequately spread the impact over a nice, large area, and that's good enough for me :)

Mine are on the way!

I'll still post pics, brief install info, etc after I get them

Dan

Did you get your rock rails, or any additional information on them? Like some others, I'm in the market and am curious. How thick is the tubing? Good mount points? Good construction and finish? Any info much appreciated.

I got the sliders yesterday, :clap: and plan to install them tonight. I had to do some prep work before trying to mount them including some rocker-panel-damage-repair/painting. Hopefully the sliders will keep me from needing to do that again. :)

I hope to have pictures and a write up done before sunday. My biggest concern was with the mounting system-- the subframe mounts have to bolt up to the slider and I was worried about the strength and durability of this joint.

It seems to me like it should be plenty rigid, however, as the joint bolts up both vertically and horizontally with 6 bolts per joint in about a 4 inch space. I know pictures would be more helpful, and I have some, but I dont have any place to host them online... Is there a way to post without having the image hosted somehwere? Or is there somone who wouldnt mind hosting some images for me?

Dan

csuxj said:
It seems to me like it should be plenty rigid, however, as the joint bolts up both vertically and horizontally with 6 bolts per joint in about a 4 inch space. I know pictures would be more helpful, and I have some, but I dont have any place to host them online... Is there a way to post without having the image hosted somehwere? Or is there somone who wouldnt mind hosting some images for me?

Dan

Cool beans.

E-me the pictures (one image per email please) and I will post it in a publicly accessible place. Maybe post the write up as a thread here like I did with the NV242 and AW4 articles that I wrote? That way easy to find/modify. It's a little way for us bandwidth sucking freeloaders to give a little back to the site.

E-me at parts at moose dot ca and we'll get the images sorted out at least.

r@m

sjx40250 - couldn't get the image to open. Seems to shoot me to their front page, with no way out...

csuxj - thanks for taking the pix; looking forward to them and your opinions on these.

to anybody - do these look a lot like the ORGS rails, or have I been drinking too much cough syrup? Are the ORGS still available, anywhere?

Codhead said:
to anybody - do these look a lot like the ORGS rails, or have I been drinking too much cough syrup? Are the ORGS still available, anywhere?

JKS Manufacturing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

hinkley

Alright, well, I got my sliders mounted a couple of weeks ago. Sorry it's taken me so long to post--

I've never posted pictures before, so hopefully this works. Thank you again to moose for making these accessible. Most of the pics should be self explanitory, but I'd be happy to elaborte should anyone have any questions. I could also take more pictures if there is something else people want to see.

By the way-- I have a super slow dial up connection out here and it took anout 5 minutes for the pictures to post. If it's because they're too big and everyone has this problem than I apoligize.

sliders_small.jpg

right_side.jpg

mounted_all.jpg

floor_mount_one.jpg

finished_top.jpg

Hope this helps! I went wheeling this weekend, but my photographer ended up taking so many damn pictures of the colorado scenery that the battery in the camera died before any decent wheeling shots could be taken :doh:

Didn't really get rough with the sliders on the trail anyway, hopefully I can make it back to carnage soon and really test them, as thats where most of my previous rocker panel damage has come from anyway :)

Dan

Hope you put some type of sealer on those bolt holes that run into the floor. Rust city. They look good though. Where do the bolts go inside? Under the seat it looks like? Juice

The bolts dont actually mount under the seats, its between the seat mounts and the door. The front seats were removed to do the install though, I think it would have been a real pain in the ass to try and lift the carpet enough not to drill right through it with the front seats still in place.

The bolt furthest to the rear on each side actually mounts where a factory plug was-- You remove the plug and a large washer "seals" the hole from the top. I'm not overly convinced that this is going to really do much good at keeping water out, but it does provide enough coverage around the old plug hole to be a solid mounting location.

As far as seals go, none have been done yet. The plan is to pull the carpet out and put down a spray on bedliner here shortly, and I'm going to get 'em sealed up then. Thanks for the reminder though :)

Dan

Back