• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Problem

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
OK, ran a search on power steering problems, found a lot of good info, but my problem is a little different than others I have read about on here.

On the street, my steering is fine, no problems at all. Can be in park, and turn my wheels from lock to lock with no problems.

As soon as I start wheeling, my steering gets really hard to turn. At times, I cannot turn the wheel at all, without reving the engine.

Before Paragon this last weekend, I flushed the PS fluid as best I could, because my old fluid was burnt. It has not seemed to help.

I understand it's probably a good idea for me to add a PS cooler by using an aux tranny cooler kit.......I'll probably be doing this soon.

I'm also guessing I should probably start by replacing my PS pump.....but before I go doing that, anyone else got any input or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

IntrepidXJ said:
just an update on this thread.

i've added a new PS pump along with a PS cooler, and it has not solved my problem at all. I'm assuming that it's the gear box, because there isn't anything left to replace.

Any other input?

Details on the PS cooler?

IntrepidXJ said:
just an update on this thread.

i've added a new PS pump along with a PS cooler, and it has not solved my problem at all. I'm assuming that it's the gear box, because there isn't anything left to replace.

Any other input?
Once you have burnt the fluid the damage can be done to all the parts. Replace the box asap as not to mess up the new pump. BTW did you use an OE pump or aftermarket (autozone rebuilt?)? I like OE pumps (new parts).

Make sure to flush the pump when you change the gear. You can spin it by hand to flow ALL the old fluid out of it, just hang the pressure line in a bucket spinning it by hand before you install the hose on the new gear.

hinkley

I have a used pump, works perfect, bought it and didn't need it. $30 plus shipping it's yours. There's a gear around somewhere too if needed. I bought the stuff and then found out it was the shaft that goes from the column to the box.

IntrepidXJ said:
i got an aftermarket (napa rebuild)

That statement in itself does not leave me "warm & fuzzy". I recently replaced a "whiney" PS pump on my '98 with a Napa reman one. It was real "stiff" in a standing position (made it a bitch to parallel park), damn near impossible to turn the wheel. It wouldn't turn easily until the vehicle was slightly moving, then it would work fine.

So, I exchanged that one with another Napa reman one, only to have it leak big time at the back of the PS pump. At least that one turned easily.

The next one (current one) "seems" to be working fine. At least I can turn wheel at a dead stop, and it doesn't leak.

If you're up to it, replace the PS pump again and see what happens. If your problem doesn't go away, then it for sure wasn't the PS pump. However, swapping out the PS pump again it could fix your problem....

Ivan

Sorry, I listed the wrong part!! I also have a used gear, pitman arm is on it, same situation as above. It's off a 94-95 IIRC. yours for $50 plus shipping. Get mine or the other one depending on your budget. You'll be fine with either, but I'm sure the Napa one is newer. Whatever meets your need. [email protected]

Back