• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After market steering wheel - where to buy?

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

My '92 XJ steering wheel has a black material that squeezes out of it when it's hot. Yuck!

Where can I purchase a bolt-on replacement?
Where can I purchase a lace-on cover? Leather?

Thanks!

mhead, autozone, advance auto....they have covers and/or new steering wheels....will even let ya "rent" the stuff to DIY.

dmillion said:
What I want to know is, is there ANYBODY out there who makes an aftermarket steering wheel with an airbag in it!?!

Never seen one. Although there is a option for a passenger side airbag, but the qquestion still remains, do I let her in or just drive away???

mhead said:
Hi All,

My '92 XJ steering wheel has a black material that squeezes out of it when it's hot. Yuck!

Where can I purchase a bolt-on replacement?
Where can I purchase a lace-on cover? Leather?

Thanks!

Grant 14" ... and I wouldn't go any smaller.

Grant stopped making the 14" wheel I have, mine needed recovering, so they referred me to this company ...

http://www.american-stitches.com/

They put a nice BMW leather wrap on my Grant ... damn nice work but the cost is prohibitive. You can by a brand new one way cheaper ... but they only make a similar design in 13" .... it's just too small.

Good luck.

dmillion said:
What I want to know is, is there ANYBODY out there who makes an aftermarket steering wheel with an airbag in it!?!

No. An airbag has to be engineered to work with your vehicle...IE not tear your head off. I don't know about you, but I'm kind of attached to my head... :roll:

bchulett said:
Grant 14" ... and I wouldn't go any smaller.

Grant stopped making the 14" wheel I have, mine needed recovering, so they referred me to this company ...

http://www.american-stitches.com/

They put a nice BMW leather wrap on my Grant ... damn nice work but the cost is prohibitive. You can by a brand new one way cheaper ... but they only make a similar design in 13" .... it's just too small.

Good luck.

This seems like a good idea! The Momo wheels are mostly $200 and up. I just called the American Stitches company. They want $201 plus a week and a half to recover. So yes, its expensive, but looks a little less than full replacement. Thanks!

mhead said:
This seems like a good idea! The Momo wheels are mostly $200 and up. I just called the American Stitches company. They want $201 plus a week and a half to recover. So yes, its expensive, but looks a little less than full replacement. Thanks!

Well, it was the best solution for me. I purchased my 14" Grant about 8-10 years ago, and the grip started to wear through. I paid $200 for that wheel back then ... but they discontinued that particular design and size.

A.S. did an excellent job ! ... it's pricey, but my Grant now has a higher quality leather wrap. They actually just stitched a new cover over the old ... made it a bit thicker.

I'll tell you this much... I had to install the huge OEM Jeep wheel while my Grant was in Texas ... aside from my broken clavical and road-rash ordeal, it was the longest two weeks I've ever experienced---it was kinda like driving a school bus.

I just measured my wheel. It's 15" diameter from outside edge to outside edge. I don't mind the larger diameter. Maybe I can get a Grant in this size?

Mike

mhead said:
I just measured my wheel. It's 15" diameter from outside edge to outside edge. I don't mind the larger diameter. Maybe I can get a Grant in this size?
Mike

Mike,

First ... you really didn't say what kind of wheel you have now ... if it's OEM I wouldn't spend any money on recovering it.

To answer your question:

I believe Grant does make a 15" wheel ... personally, I don't really like Grant's offerings now. They have a more cost effective "Challenger Series" in 4-spoke, but they are too small IMO.

I have a "Signature Series" 4-spoke 14" wheel in all black. They only make this in polished aluminum now... that's why I decided to recover---the downside is the cost.

Momo does offer very nice wheels ... probably better than Grant, but again, I would need to grow accustom to a 3-spoke Formula 1 design---probably overkill for a 13 year old XJ. I think someone would steal it for the Momo wheel alone.

Go here to view the Grant product line.

http://www.grantproducts.com/default.html

Bob

I was going through the same thing with my xj. it had some cheap aftermarket wheel with rubber that rubbed off on my hands in the heat. I decided to get a full leather-wrapped one from a limited at the local yard for a mere $15, and it's in good shape. If i were you, i would try to find a good OEM one, preferably one from a limited or country with the leather wrapping.

The boneyard idea sounds good. I'll give it a try.

In the meantime I've discovered a useful feature of my wheel. I have the three brushed-stainless spoked wheel. The FSM calls it a 'sport' wheel. I removed my wheel and carefully cut away the stiches along the wheel inside diameter. At first I thought the wheel was made by a complete molding and that the stiches were fake. They aren't, and when cut away the outer covering can be pulled off. Mostly this comes completely off, but in the locations where my hands were receiving the black gunk the padding has turned from foam to tar and the tar residue remained on the wheel. A little rubbing with MEK removed this, and other adhesive residue.

The removal exposed the molded steering wheel. It's really nice! The brushed-stainless spokes are nice all the way out, not just where they can be seen. The wheel is a soft white plastic. It has a kind of no-slip surface that I can foresee will become dirty with use. But a little MEK from time to time will fix it. I didn't try, but I bet it could be painted with a flexible plastic paint. I'm driving around with it now. Better than the black gunk.

The down side is that the wheel isn't as padded. This is done to soften the blow your head receives in a crash. So watchout!

In any event I'd recommend stripping the wheel as I describe above prior to recovering. If the recover people don't do this step the resulting grip diameter would be too large for my liking.

Just a little more info. I purchased some spray plastic primer from Home Depot. Primed my stripped wheel, and then painted with spray gloss black. I've used the wheel now for several weeks. The paint doesn't flake off or get dirty. It gives a very comfortable tactile surface. I like the whole result and recommend it as an inexpensive mod when the steering wheel starts to ooze black stuff. Still no padding so don't crash!

You can get nice lace-on leather covers from Pep Boys or JC Whitney for under 20 clams. They fit the OEM Sport wheel very nicely, look good and feel better.

Installation can be tough. To get it tight you have to really pull on the nylon lacing and it's rough on your hands, but worth the effort when finished.

mhead said:
The boneyard idea sounds good. I'll give it a try.

In the meantime I've discovered a useful feature of my wheel. I have the three brushed-stainless spoked wheel. The FSM calls it a 'sport' wheel. I removed my wheel and carefully cut away the stiches along the wheel inside diameter. At first I thought the wheel was made by a complete molding and that the stiches were fake. They aren't, and when cut away the outer covering can be pulled off. Mostly this comes completely off, but in the locations where my hands were receiving the black gunk the padding has turned from foam to tar and the tar residue remained on the wheel. A little rubbing with MEK removed this, and other adhesive residue.

The removal exposed the molded steering wheel. It's really nice! The brushed-stainless spokes are nice all the way out, not just where they can be seen. The wheel is a soft white plastic. It has a kind of no-slip surface that I can foresee will become dirty with use. But a little MEK from time to time will fix it. I didn't try, but I bet it could be painted with a flexible plastic paint. I'm driving around with it now. Better than the black gunk.

The down side is that the wheel isn't as padded. This is done to soften the blow your head receives in a crash. So watchout!

In any event I'd recommend stripping the wheel as I describe above prior to recovering. If the recover people don't do this step the resulting grip diameter would be too large for my liking.

Back