• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition switch trouble with an 87 Jeep

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
I was just given another 87 Jeep Cherokee, its a Pioneer, in running condition, but with a severe case of frame rust. The body is not that good, the doors have been redone and new rockers, but it was intrim at best, and now the Jeep is just about ready for the junkyard, but it dosn't look that bad. Any ways, it runs, but it dosn't have an ingition key any more, you just stick a screwdriver into the switch (the whole chrome cap is gone) and turn to start. Well, by mistake, I turned the switch back to the locked position. The steering colum is not tilt and dosn't have cruise. It has a lever behind the ignition switch that I think is to release the igniton key (it has one of the old style key releases, where you can't take the key out until you push the button, or pull the lever). Any way, I can't get my Jeep to start now, the switch won't advance to the start position. The lever behind the ignition switch is now jammed, it won't move up or down. Before I locked the column, It moved freely up and down. I just need to get it running again so i can move it around my yard.

Its just missing the chrome pice on the top, there is still a cylinder inside, but you have to put the screwdriver in where the key is supposed to go, and right now, the switch is in the locked position, and I can't get it out. I did some reading in my owner's manual, and apparently, the only ones with the relese were for XJs with manual transmissions. This one is Auto so all I can figure it that this is a new steering column. It has the Jeep three spoke aluminum steering wheel, not the GM one, if that helps any.

Back