• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swaping a dana 60

Ron4x4

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a GM Corp14 for the Rear and a Ford dana 60 for the front, I can't seem to find any writeups on the process, I am sure I can do it no problem I just have a few questions and would like a few Ideas.
Wheel back spacing, I was thinking of a 17x8 or 10 with 5 inches of back spacing, I really don't want these full size to stick out as much as some of the rigs I see with full size axles and deep rims.
Steering seems like it will be no problem,
Anyone have any ideas on what I should look out for?
thanks
Ron

Ron4x4 said:
I have a GM Corp14 for the Rear and a Ford dana 60 for the front, I can't seem to find any writeups on the process, I am sure I can do it no problem I just have a few questions and would like a few Ideas.
Wheel back spacing, I was thinking of a 17x8 or 10 with 5 inches of back spacing, I really don't want these full size to stick out as much as some of the rigs I see with full size axles and deep rims.
Steering seems like it will be no problem,
Anyone have any ideas on what I should look out for?
thanks
Ron

Check with Sean P and/or Billy (Jeep Freak) in the Sierra Chapter. They are here in Sacramento as am I and they have both done full width conversions on their xj's. Get with them and they should be able to give you tons of advice and avoiding some of the problems they encountered.
Troy

You can also talk w/ Beezil and OneTonXJ. both have full widths. just let them know what you wana know and they can tell you pretty much anything you wana know. Same w/ Sean and Billy

You'll get quicker results if ya do a "search"

not a flame....

just showing ya a shortcut...

You'll probably have to go 17" with backspacing.. or some hummer rims...
or something like that...you gotta be able to swallow the calipers...tons of stuff in previous posts

I've got an F250 D44 front (same brakes & knuckles as a 60) and a 14B rear with 3/4 ton Chevy discs/calipers, both axles full width.

I'm running 5 3/8" bs on 16.5" x 9.75" TrailReady beadlocks. This narrows up the overall width quite a bit and I have no issues with tire fitment. With my 38.5 x 14.5 x 16.5 Swampers I have about 7" of tread showing in the rear & closer to 8" of tread showing in the front.

pic

-jb

dennisuello said:
is it possible to run 16" rim? (on dana 60 front)

Yes, that is the rims that most one ton axles are designed around.

CRASH

I am running a 14bolt and a ford 60 front. With the hummer rims I am almost covered in the rear but I had to use a 1.25" spacer in the front to clear the steering. With my 36x12.5 tires I stick out about 5" on each side of the TJ flares in the front.

OK, here's what I have learned in my D60 swap.

1) Narrow it. I am not sure what year you have but I stongly suggest narrowing it about 6". I just cut down my passenger side by 6" and send my inner to Duthcman to cut and respline for $75. Earlier D60s had longer drivers side axle tube. Just make sure that your coil buckers will fit nicely.

2) Rotate the knuckles up about 12-13*. If you are cutting one side, you may as well do both so you can get a manageable pinion angle. It's not as much work as you would think.

3) There are several write ups on PBB on using 15" wheels with the D60. Chevy calipers are smaller and will fit easier, but the right combo between grinding and backspacing will work. I had hummer rims recentered to 4" BS.

4) Steering. It's cheaper to make high steer with a king pin D60 than a ball joint. Mine is ball joint and I am very pleased with the way it turned out, just a bit more $$ to maching the tops off my knucles flat.

5) 4 link and trackbar. It takes some trial and error to get every thing to clear (oil pan, trackbar to tierod, DS upper to driveshaft). I welded my DS upper right to the diff housing (cast steel on a D60 not cast iron). Tack everything together and cycle the suspension and make sure everything will clear. Also keep in mind that you will likely want to go to a ram assist steering in the future (about one hour after you tear your steering box off of the frame ;) ). Big axles and big tires put big stress on your steering box. Make sure that you at least get the ORGS SBS.

6) A can of Progresso soup is perfect for drawing the same outline as the axle tube when you make your lower brackets! ;)

7) Doing a 60 clean and proper takes a lot of time. I spent hours under my rig staring at everything and making sure it would all work. I STILL ended up pulling the axle out when I was "done" and cut and rotated my knuckles to correct a horrible pinion angle. I had to rebuild every bracket on the axle when I did this, but it was worth it.

Good luck

SeanP

SeanP said:
OK, here's what I have learned in my D60 swap.
1) Narrow it. Good luck
SeanP

I wouldent narrow it...
Im at 81in out side tire to tire. Stock width 1979 f350 d60 front 69.5in WMS, 16.5in rims, 4-4.5in ish BS, 38in TSLS.

If you have king pins, buy the $50 rebuild kits. Much easier then tracking down only the worn parts.

My 78-79 d60 front had little 1/2in studs. I swapped to a 1980 d60 rotors and 9/16in studs to match my d70, now 14bolt rear end.

I use the stock front drive shaft, had to cut like 1.5in off and get a 1310 to 1330 adaptor U-joint.

Do a search on the steering mods/part numbers.

have fun
My build up thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139642&page=9&pp=25

Back