• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS reading in reverse

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
From what I have read, this does not make sense.

Purple Orange Black

Plug disconnected ignition on 5.14 V 4.66 V 00 Ohm
Plug connected ignition on trottle closed 5.14 V 0.71 V
Plug connected ignition on trottle open 5.14 V 3.80 V
The 4.0L runs perfect and the milage is excelent. Is this what the 1996 year model should be like?
On another story, Is there a great difference between the shift solonoids in the AW4 for the 1989 and the 1996 year model? Solonoids 1 and 2 in my XJ is bad and I have a set from a 1989 XJ. There is some difference in size but will the function the same? Yesterday I had the pan off but was in some doubt as to wether or not the would work. The dealer wants $211.00 per solonoid. Is this the normal price? I sound steep to me.

the one wire is the 5 volt supply. the other readings are the voltage after the resistance change due to closed throttle or wide open throttle. are you having any problems?

No, I am having no engine related problems. The one before that had a drink of water and refused to work after that. I just think it is wierd that the readings at trottle closed and trottle open are opposite what I read on this board. Of course most TPS postings on the board are for the Renix system.
My AW4 problems I discovered are caused by bad shift solonoids namely 1 and 2. Does anyone know wether or not the solonoids from a 1989 AW4 would work in a 1996 AW4? At over $211.00 per solonoid I need to explore all possibilites.
Thanks to all.

Back