• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfercase question

Geepfreak

NAXJA Forum User
The chain in the 231 crapped out yesterday, my question is, would be less time consuming, pulling the t-case and sending to the shop, or taking the case apart and replacing whats needed myself, is there a reason I could or could not leave the case in the vehicle to six it?

Thanks for the advice

yes you can fix it very easily. no need to pull the whole transfer case. just the case half. you will need a 10 mm socket for star type nut on top and a good pair of lock ring plyers. the first time I did it I put in a SYE. It took a couple of hours. I'm sure I could do it faster now.

Thanks for the input, decided to pull the whole thing and get to the shop for a complete rebuild.

I don't understand why you guys rebuild 231's. In the NorthEast the junk yards charge $50 for these things. There is only 6 bolts and a good kick with your foot and thier out. I have two spares.

Wish they were that cheap here in Utah. My friend bought a salvaged NP231 and paid upwards of $600 dollars. Of course he was buying it through the mechanic who was doing the work so I'm sure he didn't get the best deal, in fact he got ripped IMHO. But that gives you an idea of how different the prices are from coast to coast. That and Ford 8.8's are pretty cheap other places but can be kinda costly here in comparison. It all depends on whether the salvage yard owner if four-wheeling savvy or not.

So your telling me if I ever make it out to MOAB, that I should bring a trunk full of transfer cases and sell them for about $200 a piece to pay the trip :)

To tell you the honest truth you could do it if it was during easter weekend. There are so many people who need parts etc. and are willing to fork out the dough, it wouldn't be a bad idea if you could do it. A free trip is always better. If you really can sell them for $200 bucks, I'll remember you and I'd even buy one myself if I ever chuck one. It'd be easier than trying to hunt one down here for a cheap price.

Back