• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ stock Lower CA bushing

Dazz

NAXJA Forum User
Is the stock XJ lower control arm bushing insert removable?
If so, how?
I need to re-fab some CA and needing to remove the rubber bushing so I can weld the DOM tubing to the bushing case without melting it.

Tried squeezing them out with a vise with no luck.

Those things are in there tight!! I haven't been able to get one out with out destroying the bushing. Then pressing a new one in, my 12 ton press only got it half way. Ended up taking the arm to a friends and using his 25 ton press.

Good Luck.

Dan

Dazz said:
Is the stock XJ lower control arm bushing insert removable?
If so, how?
I need to re-fab some CA and needing to remove the rubber bushing so I can weld the DOM tubing to the bushing case without melting it.

Tried squeezing them out with a vise with no luck.

The bushing and its steel cased housing are 1-piece and must be pressed into a DOM sleeve,you CANNOT weld directly to the bushing!
17520003.jpg

Just buy some new ones, they're like $10 per pair. I used a pair of these for my upper wishbone at the body end. They will squeeze nicely into a piece of tubing, and you can secure them with a small rossette on each one if you feel the need.

-jb

getting them out of a stock control arm is easy but i tried to remove some from my RE and had to drill out the old rubber ones. To get the OE ones from my stock arms into my RE arms i had to use a 90 ton piranha to get the newones in all the way. Easiest way it to upgrade to the Re superride replacement bushings.

olympic4x4tech said:
....i had to use a 90 ton piranha to get the newones in all the way.............

Really? I used my damn bench vice, I guess I've been working out more lately?

-jb

The new ones were oem with the larger diameter at one end. I tried using a 12 ton press but could only get them to the raised lip. so i had to bring out the big tools. I know some aftermarket oem style bushings dont have the lip on them and they are easier to get in.

vintagespeed said:
Just buy some new ones, they're like $10 per pair. I used a pair of these for my upper wishbone at the body end. They will squeeze nicely into a piece of tubing, and you can secure them with a small rossette on each one if you feel the need.

-jb
I've already purchased new XJ bushing, but they come with the bushing already inserted inside the housing. I need to press them out and weld the tubing onto the housing.
RE3701.jpg

I try to find someone with a 25Ton press.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Last time I looked at my aftermarket arms, that WAS the piece that gets pressed in. In otherwords, you do not want to weld to that. You want to do what RCP Phx showed.

olympic4x4tech said:
The new ones were oem with the larger diameter at one end. I tried using a 12 ton press but could only get them to the raised lip. so i had to bring out the big tools. I know some aftermarket oem style bushings dont have the lip on them and they are easier to get in.

The ones pictured are the same ones I used. The press fit is perfect. :dunno:

-jb

Dazz said:
I've already purchased new XJ bushing, but they come with the bushing already inserted inside the housing. I need to press them out and weld the tubing onto the housing.
Wrong!The entire cartridge(center pic) gets press into a DOM sleeve(the 2 outer pics)!
XJBushing.JPG

RCP Phx said:
Wrong!The entire cartridge(center pic) gets press into a DOM sleeve(the 2 outer pics)!
XJBushing.JPG
Gotcha! What size tubing did they sleeved?

You need 2-5/8"x.188" wall and about a .020" relief cut machined on one side.At 10$ each its probably easier just to buy them!

I made mine but these are from Rocklogic!
XJBushing.JPG

what about axle end UCA bushings? How do you get those in and out?

Back