• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finished my rear bumper and hoodvents

What's the name of your rig???? Mad Cow??? :doh:

Do you have any pics from the underside of the hood with the vents mounted? That way I could see how they mount.

-Mike

Sorry to harrass you about the paint job but I couldn't resist. Last Moab trip a couple of guys got a bit loaded and spray painted a buddies topless XJ and gave it that name. Everything looks nice. Good job on the bumper.

Do you have some better pics and a description on how you built the bumper brackets? I need to build some better ones for mine too, and could use some ideas.

Thanks

Which vents are those, don't remember seeing that rectangular shape on anything...
Also on the rear bumper, what keeps the corners from driving up into the quarter panels ??

RichP said:
Which vents are those, don't remember seeing that rectangular shape on anything...
Also on the rear bumper, what keeps the corners from driving up into the quarter panels ??

Those are Chrysler Lebaron Turbo vents that I sold Billy. I cut my hood and just have to now put the vents in. They are so big, but just fit the xj hood. They look so much better on an xj than they do on the car they were made for. These vents should really keep the engine/under hood temps down on the trail/street driving. Mine are painted gloss black against my bright red Durabak exterior paint job. The car they came from I think is early to mid 80's. I still have a set of Datsun 280 zx hood vents. I have some pics of what they look like if someone wants a set. It looks good Billy, mine are a tad crocked on the hood and not as close together. I'll try to get some pics too.
Troy

JeepFreak21 said:
Bumper brackets

Bumper

I cut from the bottom so that I could be sure I wasn't going to run into any supports... and I think it was easier to get centered that way.

I stuck w/ the schoolbus yellow theme :D

Billy

Billy did you just cut out to the insert parts of the vents and then let the outer flar edge of the vents sit on the outside hood. I did mine that way and will glue the outer edge of the vents to the top of the hood. That way the hood vents sit in the hood nice and with some super glue etc. they aren't going anywhere. It's pretty cool to see all that heat billoing out of the hood, you know you are doing a good thing when you see all that heat being released. The xj's don't have a lot of room around the motor so anything you can do to release the heat buildup is really going to keep the engine cooler, under/around 210 hopefully. I dig the school bus yellow, very cool with your susp comp also that color.
Troy

steinjeep said:
Those are Chrysler Lebaron Turbo vents that I sold Billy. I cut my hood and just have to now put the vents in. They are so big, but just fit the xj hood. They look so much better on an xj than they do on the car they were made for. These vents should really keep the engine/under hood temps down on the trail/street driving. Mine are painted gloss black against my bright red Durabak exterior paint job. The car they came from I think is early to mid 80's. I still have a set of Datsun 280 zx hood vents. I have some pics of what they look like if someone wants a set. It looks good Billy, mine are a tad crocked on the hood and not as close together. I'll try to get some pics too.
Troy

I was just going to say "Chrysler Le Baron", but your answer works too :D
Thanks,
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
I was just going to say "Chrysler Le Baron", but your answer works too :D
Thanks,
Billy

Sorry didn't mean to cut in on your response. The hood vents look good. I left my hood on and covered my windshield and used Rotozip cutting wheels. I actually went through about 5 cutting wheels to cut the vent holes out. Those wheels don't last too long when you get on them and try to cut faster. See you on the trail soon I hope.
Troy

steinjeep said:
Billy did you just cut out to the insert parts of the vents and then let the outer flar edge of the vents sit on the outside hood. I did mine that way and will glue the outer edge of the vents to the top of the hood. That way the hood vents sit in the hood nice and with some super glue etc. they aren't going anywhere. It's pretty cool to see all that heat billoing out of the hood, you know you are doing a good thing when you see all that heat being released. The xj's don't have a lot of room around the motor so anything you can do to release the heat buildup is really going to keep the engine cooler, under/around 210 hopefully. I dig the school bus yellow, very cool with your susp comp also that color.
Troy

I traced the outer edge and then cut the hole 1/4" inside of my line. I'm going to fasten them in with screws and little tabs... but I haven't got that part done yet. I didn't wanna glue them in because I want to be able to paint/repaint the hood or the vents later.
Billy

96country said:
Do you have some better pics and a description on how you built the bumper brackets? I need to build some better ones for mine too, and could use some ideas.

Thanks

Well, I used my stock bumper brackets to mark the holes in the 4"x6"x1/4" plate. Then I bolted that in place and drilled holes in some 2" wide, 1/4" thick strap to bolt up where the hitch would. I had to knotch it to make it fit around the gas tank skid. I bolted the strap up and put a piece of 2"x4"x1/4" box tubing (cut 2" long) on top of the strap and up against the plate. Welded that all together and the bumper welds to that (against the box tubing). Make sense?
Billy

steinjeep said:
Sorry didn't mean to cut in on your response. The hood vents look good. I left my hood on and covered my windshield and used Rotozip cutting wheels. I actually went through about 5 cutting wheels to cut the vent holes out. Those wheels don't last too long when you get on them and try to cut faster. See you on the trail soon I hope.
Troy

NP Troy. I bought an air powered angle grinder that uses 3" wheels, just for the purpose of the hoodvents... but ended up scrapping the idea for my trusty traditional angle grinder. The damn air one wouldn't even get a quarter of an inch before my compressor kicked back on... and it's not even that small of a compressor. Ended up using 1 regular cut off wheel to get the job done :)
Billy

Back