• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission cooler options?

AndyS

NAXJA Forum User
I popped the tranny line that runs from the top of the radiator to my AW4 (not sure if it's "to" to radiator or "from"...) - the rubber portion appears to have rubbed through from touching my steering brace arm. Seeing as how a new line is 50+ bucks and none of my local dealers have one in stock, I'm considering simply converting to a universal type tranny cooler. Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and # of rows needed?

I'm also considering placing the cooler BEHIND the radiator (if space permits) - this will allow for faster warmup of the transmission fluid, and the mechanical fan will ensure that there's always airflow across it. I figure the fluid will stay at LEAST as cool as with the OEM radiator style cooler, if not cooler, plus the fluid and transmission will benefit from faster, more thorough warmups.

This also leaves me with an unused cooler in the radiator - can this be easily converted for use with the power steering pump? I don't wheel it heavily, and I'm only turning 31's, but the idea intrigued me for the same reason as with the tranny cooler placement - more stable temps, and quicker warmups. Will this be too warm for the power steering fluid?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks -
Andy

Adding a better trans cooler has been on my list of to-do items for some time now.

From what I recall reading you want to have the trans cooler before the rad because you will loosing effectiveness from getting the air after it has been though the rad. I also heard that it is more important to have the transmission running as cool as possible since the biggest killer of auto trannys is heat. To me that sounds like more then enough reasons to run the tranny cooler up front.

-Scott

As far as auto trannies are concerned, my Aw4 will not die. I have cooked it to the point where forward motion has ceased (4 times) and when I drained the fluid it was smoking. It just gets crappier and crappier, but flushing it seems to bring it back to life. I added a tranny cooler to the FRONT OF THE RADIATOR because I want the fluid as cool as possible like Sintax said. But that was something I should have done earlier. As fas as the P/s fluid cooler Idea, P/s fluid is similar to A/T fluid so I believe it would work best at the same temps. I don't think It would get as hot as tranny fluid however, so maybe it is best left alone. Have you thought of switching to synthetic P/S fluid ?

Put mine in front. I don't think there is any room to put one behind, and as everyone else said, its probably a better idea anyhow.

I added both a tranny cooler and a P/S cooler to front of the radiator. The trans cooler is a Hayden from Pep Boys and the P/S cooler is a smaller one, a stock ZJ trans cooler. I live in a hot climate and there has been no reduction in engine cooling that I can tell, they've been on for 4-5 years. I did not run the trans fluid through the radiator, just the aux cooler.

With 31" tires and occasional wheeling, I wouldn't bother with the P/S cooler. However, with larger tires and regular wheeling it made a difference.

Back