• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

explorer shocks

low_life

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 xj I 'm wanting to lift, but I'm on a REAL tight budget. I would like to get around 3 inches of lift. My main reason for posting is about shocks.
Will shocks off of a '97 and up ford explorer work on a xj? They mount the same way on the front and I think they mount the same on the rear. They look to be a good bit longer than oem xj shocks.
The reason I ask is because I can get a set of monroes or ranchos from my place of employment for near nothing.
Thanks to anyone who can bring some to light to this subject for me.

Scott

Get some 94 or 95 YJ Wrangler front shocks and some 94 Exploder shocks, and you will be doing good for 3".

The front Explorer's will be WAY short. The rears about right for an XJ with life becasue they are sprung under increasing the length on the rears.

I usually modify my own Explorers and Rangers with 2-3" lift XJ or Wrangler shocks in the front (with F250 shock mounts) for some real travel. Makes a great difference.

Back