• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 questions??

RalphXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I found out this weekend that the chain in my NP231 is streched and I need to replace it!! I have a 1992 XJ. My question is will a 1997 TJ 231 work on mine? Does it use the same electric Speedo pick up? The reason i'm asking is because the chain will cost me atlest $100. I plan on lifting my XJ this summer, and will need a SYE, which will cost me another $200. I can get the TJ 231 with a SYE already installed for around $350 and it would save me the trouble of installing everything, and it would have much new parts then mine in the 92?? So my quesion is, will a 231 from a 97 TJ work on my 92XJ? Both have the 4.0 and an Auto tranny? Thanks

Aaron

you first need to tell use which tranny your 92 has and what tranny is in the TJ.

tho only problem will be the input gear.

RalphXJ said:
I found out this weekend that the chain in my NP231 is streched and I need to replace it!! I have a 1992 XJ. My question is will a 1997 TJ 231 work on mine? Does it use the same electric Speedo pick up? The reason i'm asking is because the chain will cost me atlest $100. I plan on lifting my XJ this summer, and will need a SYE, which will cost me another $200. I can get the TJ 231 with a SYE already installed for around $350 and it would save me the trouble of installing everything, and it would have much new parts then mine in the 92?? So my quesion is, will a 231 from a 97 TJ work on my 92XJ? Both have the 4.0 and an Auto tranny? Thanks

Aaron

the input spline will be 23 spline on both, no problem there. I have no idea on the speedo, but that is usually something that is very easy to swap out (I put my '88 mechanical speedo in place of the electrical on my '94 t-case, no problems). one major difference is the the YJ and TJ np231 have the bolt pattern clocked a little more, 13 degrees if I remember right. This should still work on yours, and you will gain a little ground clearance under the case. I know on mine there is at least an inch more that the t-case could move up with no problems.

Back